Options

Passed today

Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed this morning with a 792. I have no previous classroom or professional IT experience. I knew going in that I wouldn't ace it but was nearly certain I knew enough to pass.

I read through the big Mike Meyers book over the course of about a month. Then over about 3 weeks I went through it again, made like 200 flashcards, watched all of the Professor Messor videos a few times and took notes. I looked at a couple practice exams but they were all so far from the objectives they were useless.

The troubleshooting process was heavily tested. Make sure you know details about what you might do at each step. The lone subnetting question was basic. Networks with varrying max speeds or distances were tested using maximum theoretical value. There were also a few detailed questions I swear weren't covered in the materials I studied so Meyers and Messer may not cover you 100%.

I want to squeeze in Security+ before Christmas but that might be pushing it.

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! For someone with no prior experience that's a pretty solid score. If you seriously push yourself you can do Security+ less memorization more concept application. If you do for it though get the Gibson book, it covers everything you need to pass.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
  • Options
    Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Congrats! For someone with no prior experience that's a pretty solid score. If you seriously push yourself you can do Security+ less memorization more concept application. If you do for it though get the Gibson book, it covers everything you need to pass.

Hey thanks. Just to be sure, are you referring to CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide, Darril Gibson, 2009 ?

edit: I'm pretty sure that's it. Can't wait for slow-as-death Amazon shipping so got the Kindle version for 10 bucks.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Pratt2 wrote: »
    Hey thanks. Just to be sure, are you referring to CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide, Darril Gibson, 2009 ?

edit: I'm pretty sure that's it. Can't wait for slow-as-death Amazon shipping so got the Kindle version for 10 bucks.

Yep that's the one. I actually signed up for the 30 day free Amazon prime membership and had the book in 24 hours. You can always cancel before it bills ya. Depending on the amount of time you can devote to your studies the cert can be had in 2 weeks, received my book the 13th and sat for the test yesterday. But i'm between jobs so I have a lot of free time right now. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Congrats on the pass!

The Kindle version of Darril's book comes in handy. I read like 3 chapters via my work PC, my android phone, and netbook. The Kindle for PC app is free. I have the book as well.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Congrats on the pass! If you get Darril Gibson's book and read it in < a week, and score fine on the practice exams it comes with then the only thing holding you back is appointment availability.

From the day I received the book until I sat for the test was 2 weeks and 1 day. So it is doable.