Options

Some basic Help needed with Hyper-V

Hi,

We have two hyper-V production servers at work.

I'm trying to learn a bit more about Hyper-v, so I've added a spare server to the domain (which i can mess about with with no fear of affecting the other servers) after setting it on a static ip address, added the hyper-v role. All seemed OK.
This Server is fitted with two physical network adaptors. I've designated one management (which has a fixed ip address) and the other NIC "hyper-v"
I then installed a guest VM on the Hyper-v Server successfully but when I try to join it to the domain it cannot contact the DC.

Stupid question but do I need two network cables to be connected to our LAN - one for management (via NIC1) and the other for the VM's to contact the domain (via NIC2).

I'm 99% there - I think I just need an extra patch cable to connect......

Look forward to any advice.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Yes, the virtual NIC is mapped to the actual physical NIC in Hyper-V -- so you'll need each one connected to the physical switch.

I don't believe you need to set an IP on the Hyper-V NIC -- as it will use whatever address you give the guest VM (s). But you'll need one on the management interface, just like usual.
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Yes, the virtual NIC is mapped to the actual physical NIC in Hyper-V -- so you'll need each one connected to the physical switch.

I don't believe you need to set an IP on the Hyper-V NIC -- as it will use whatever address you give the guest VM (s). But you'll need one on the management interface, just like usual.

Many thanks, I'm now up and running.

Just understanding that one NIC becomes a virtual switch took a bit of head-scratching but I am there now :)
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Yeah, it can get pretty weird once you have a bunch of NICs assigned to a bunch of different VMs. SCVMM has a feature to draw out your NIC-VM map so you can make sense of it, but out of the box Hyper-V doesn't do that. They basically call it a switch because it will do multiple (virtual) machines and has the capability of putting them in different VLANs.