Version of IOS

SlowJoeSlowJoe Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm looking to purchase a pair of switches to practice on. I dug around this site and the Cisco site, but I didn't see an answer on what version of IOS would be best to work with. I have found a pair of switches with version 12.0.

Is version 12.0 too old to work with?

Thanks!

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SlowJoe wrote: »
    I'm looking to purchase a pair of switches to practice on. I dug around this site and the Cisco site, but I didn't see an answer on what version of IOS would be best to work with. I have found a pair of switches with version 12.0.

Is version 12.0 too old to work with?

Thanks!

That depends on what you want to accomplish. I would say probably. If you go to the software advisor at cisco's website and see what the IOS version supports you can see if it will be good enough.

I had a couple of 2900 switches with a low 12.x IOS, and while I could get what I needed done, I had to work around the compatibility of the IOS. If nothing, be sure to invest in at least one good switch with a new IOS. That way you can learn the newest information for configurations.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • SlowJoeSlowJoe Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    That depends on what you want to accomplish. I would say probably. If you go to the software advisor at cisco's website and see what the IOS version supports you can see if it will be good enough.

I had a couple of 2900 switches with a low 12.x IOS, and while I could get what I needed done, I had to work around the compatibility of the IOS. If nothing, be sure to invest in at least one good switch with a new IOS. That way you can learn the newest information for configurations.
    I'm just studying for the CCENT, then the CCNA. I will not likely be putting these into a production environment. Just personal study.

What would be a good model of switch (and maybe a router) to purchase?
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    chmorin wrote: »

I have a 2924 and a 2950, do you think I can get by with those 2? if not I think I will just do what ever I cant in Packet Tracer. - Thanks
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a 2924 and a 2950, do you think I can get by with those 2? if not I think I will just do what ever I cant in Packet Tracer. - Thanks

The 2950 will be great, and the 2924 will work. If you learn some in packet tracer (which is what I used mostly for my CCNA) then you will be fine.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.