Options

May have to use this thing : Please Critique

Hello, Just in case my current company where I work as an intern does not decided to my hire me full time I would like to get my resume checked out. I have attached it below.

My intent was to keep it short and sweet - I have heard employers do not like a jumble of micro details. The details I have listed is me to a T, for I have not been in this profession long enough to develop anything more than I believe what I have already listed.

Thanks in advanced.
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ok here goes:

1. This is the first time I have seen a Target section, I'd do away with it, this is more cover letter material than a resume. A resume should highlight what you have done and not what you expect to do.

2. Have a separate certifications section. It should say Certification/Education and then list first the certs and then the education, moreso since degree isnt yet completed.

3. You can list a Skills section and then put in the Windows 98/XP/2003/2008/other software you want in that section.

4. Have bullet points for each job responsibility. Makes it more readable. I cant stress it enough, readability is paramount. If the resume is not readable, the HR dud is going to have one look at it and toss it into the dumpster.

5. Put some more meat on the bones for each job responsibility. I am sure you can out more into it instead of just saying handled troubleshooting. What kind of troubleshooting did you do, what system crashes did you recover, what tools you used to recover, how many tickets you closed, what systems you used. HR likes to see "Troubleshot Windows problems including DNS, DHCP, file sharing and mailbox issues" instead of "Troubleshot a variety of Windows issues". You must have faced a HUGE variety of issues fixing stuff for SOHO folks.

Otherwise quite well laid out.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    2 pages isn't bad provided that the material covered on the second page is relevant. I personally would **** the "other work experience" and expand on your relevant job descriptions.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I personally would **** the "other work experience" and expand on your relevant job descriptions.

I was debating doing so since its not tech related, well atleast the part about building houses.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was debating doing so since its not tech related, well atleast the part about building houses.

Thanks for the advice.

It's semi-related, so you might be able to keep it. Both the TV and radio experience show technical experience with high-priority, time sensitive material. They also both illustrate experience with complex computer systems. Building codes shows superior attention to detail as well as the ability to work (and manage work) within standards. I assume you had to work with architectural plans as well, which means you can read complicated documents akin to schematics.

It could all benefit you skill-wise if phrased properly. Just don't segregate it into IT and non-IT if you want to do that.
  • Options
    Qord wrote: »
    It's semi-related, so you might be able to keep it. Both the TV and radio experience show technical experience with high-priority, time sensitive material. They also both illustrate experience with complex computer systems. Building codes shows superior attention to detail as well as the ability to work (and manage work) within standards. I assume you had to work with architectural plans as well, which means you can read complicated documents akin to schematics.

It could all benefit you skill-wise if phrased properly. Just don't segregate it into IT and non-IT if you want to do that.

I am leaving it because thats what I was thinking from the start.
  • Options
    Ok here is my new revision attached to this post.

Please let me know what you all think. The advice has been and will be appreciated.

I have for sure made my resume a bit more tasty if you will.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    What about attaching letters of recommendation to a resume? I asked because I had a pretty well known technical writer write me a letter of recommendation. The letter is very nice, and I very proud that the author offered to write me one.

What do you guys think ?