Options

Any Recommended MCSA/MCSE Book / Study Guide?

nstarznstarz Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I plan on getting the MCSA (first of course), then MCSE.

I am hoping to pass the following exams in the next 2 years. (One year if possible). I have already passed A+/Network+/Security+

Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) needs - 2011
- Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment Exam 70-290: $125
- Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Exam 70-291: $125
- TS: Windows 7, Configuring Exam 70-680: $125
- (Elective Met) with A+/Network+

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) - 2011 (70K+)
- (Save as Above) Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment Exam 70-290
- (Save as Above) Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Exam 70-291
- Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Exam 70-293: $125
- Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure Exam 70-294: $125
- (Save as Above) TS: Windows 7, Configuring Exam 70-680
- Designing a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure Exam 70-297: $125
- Elective Met (I think) with A+/Network+

Anyways, are there any recommended books / study guide?

So far I have taken all exams by self study only, and probably won't take courses until CCNA or other. My work pays for it, so price isn't a factor.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realize this was my first post. Long time reader, first time poster.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First off, welcome officially to TE (post wise :))

There's a deal through Microsoft that can provide you with second shot vouchers for a discount (depending on how many exams you choose to take before June 30, 2011).

Special Offers for IT Professional and Developer Careers l E-Learning Programs | Exam Offers

You must take your first and second shots of each exam before the date listed above and you can only register for one exam at a time.

The bigger the exam voucher pack, the more savings you technically get. Book wise, I would suggest checking out half.com and amazon.com's used sections. I was able to grab the 290,291,299, and 284 books for under 40 books altogether (with 3 out of 4 CDs). I am a fan of the self-paced training kits; they're easy on the eyes and cover most of the material needed for the exams.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I'm reading the 70-290 Self Paced Training Kit as we speak and it's ok. I'm not far enough into it to give a quality review, though. I do recommend the TestOut software. I just finished it and really liked it. I'm a hands on kinda guy, though.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since your employer is paying for this, you could get the CBT nuggets. I found them helpful on the 291 exam. I have mostly used the MS training kits and lots of lab time for the other exams.
    How much experience do you have in server 2003?

Welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    2003 is the only server OS beside RHEL that is used, though we will upgrade to 2008 soon.

I wish CBT nuggets had more individual structure. $899-1099 for MCSE Packages, some including retired or stuff I have already.

I'll wait for some more replies, Thanks
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Look on ebay for books ***DO NOT BUY NEW***

I just sold 18 MS Press books covering the MCSA Messaging cert which included all self study guides AND recource kit books, they went for £20 total, shipping was £35, that was the price of 2 books new :/

Aside from that get MS Press or Sybex books, also CBT Nuggets IMO are epicly good and a must have.
  • Options
    Got a set of books used on ebay.

I chose the Microsoft Press books.

Thanks