Options

Feeling like a noob

snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have so many things on my mind as I have stated my new job that I've made a couple mistakes that now I feel like a lil bit of a noob. For instance, I was setting up a desktop and I didn't notice it had an add on card (dvi) so I was trying to plug it in to the VGA port but it was not working...so after muddling with the menu on the monitor to no avail, the guy i'm primarily working with was like "there's an add on card that overrides the vga". God I felt like such an idiot that I totally didn't see the video card..... I guess I just need to calm down and not feel the need to constantly impress people but still it sucks to feel like a total noob!

Comments

• Options
    EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have so many things on my mind as I have stated my new job that I've made a couple mistakes that now I feel like a lil bit of a noob. For instance, I was setting up a desktop and I didn't notice it had an add on card (dvi) so I was trying to plug it in to the VGA port but it was not working...so after muddling with the menu on the monitor to no avail, the guy i'm primarily working with was like "there's an add on card that overrides the vga". God I felt like such an idiot that I totally didn't see the video card..... I guess I just need to calm down and not feel the need to constantly impress people but still it sucks to feel like a total noob!

Don't even worry about that. If you're not making mistakes then you're not extending yourself. As long as you work hard, ask good questions and don't make the same mistakes repeatedly, you're golden.

I don't think there is a person in our field who hasn't felt like a "noob" at one time or another. Personally, I feel that way regularly.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Yes, relax and remember: when there is something obviously wrong ( a new PC that's not getting video for example) never look for subtle issues first - step back and look for glaring errors in your reassoning.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're only a noob if you make the same mistake tomorrow.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with all of you. But it was just a simple thing of me not paying THAT much attention to every detail. In a way, it was a good wake up call to stay on my toes.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I once went into a software directory on our file server looking for something.....had an exe called restart. I double clicked it thinking "there's no way this what I think it is."

First few seconds....nothing happened. Then it shutdown and restarted. And so the "The file server required an emergency reboot" email went out. Woops! No witnesses though. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree with all of you. But it was just a simple thing of me not paying THAT much attention to every detail. In a way, it was a good wake up call to stay on my toes.

When YOU are the one that installs the add in card and then you still plug in to the wrong connector, then you can beat your self up. Until then consider it part of the learning curve and go with the flow.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dude, trust me. We have all had our n00b moments, or even "blonde moments" like myself.

When I got my first desktop job in a corporate environment I did a lot of dumb things just because I hadn't been put in those situations before. I can't even count how many things I have learned just from messing up. The good thing is that it wasn't terrible mistakes and I had a team to help me out while I was there.

Two years later and I am now in charge of 400+ PC's and working with servers everyday. I learned how to really think about what I am doing and do my homework first to prevent being a silly bear. It all comes with time. Hang in there. :)
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I once went into a software directory on our file server looking for something.....had an exe called restart. I double clicked it thinking "there's no way this what I think it is."

First few seconds....nothing happened. Then it shutdown and restarted. And so the "The file server required an emergency reboot" email went out. Woops! No witnesses though. ;)

Or the time I accidently double-clicked a batch file instead of using edit.
    Ended up mapping 10 or more drives that didn't need to there.
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Hehe, kiddie mistakes, nothing compared to epic showdown like mine. I once disabled recursion on primary AND secondary DNS servers AND went for a lunch brake. About 5 minutes later 2 thousand people went for their lunch brakes 2nd time for that day, thanks to me :)) My manager figured right away what was the problem. We had a huge DNS misconfiguration in place. I ended up disabling recursion on those servers again a few months later, but this time I had split-brain DNS in place.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You're only a noob if you make the same mistake tomorrow.

This. icon_lol.gif
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the IT world you will typically make mistakes daily just learn from them move on and don't quit.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    willanderson1111willanderson1111 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It happens to the best of us. I remember my moment. I totally had a brain fart and started to sweat profusely in front of the customers. That was really embarrassing... haha but you live and learn.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Just start new Job as ICT Manager, needed to restart a secondary low importance server, problem was I had numerous RDP sessions open at the same time and I rebooted a DC/File storage server at 11am unannounced!!!

Plenty of help desk phone calls began and all told, "sorry the server restarted unexpectedly".... blah blah blah

dont let mistakes worry you, learn from them...:)
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    SWM wrote: »
    Just start new Job as ICT Manager, needed to restart a secondary low importance server, problem was I had numerous RDP sessions open at the same time and I rebooted a DC/File storage server at 11am unannounced!!!

Plenty of help desk phone calls began and all told, "sorry the server restarted unexpectedly".... blah blah blah

dont let mistakes worry you, learn from them...:)

get yourself a copy of bginfo from MS download website. I use it to show server name/domain and last restart time for each server when logged in with RDP sessions, helps tremendously.
  • Options
    darrensmoothdarrensmooth Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    was logged on to a customer server remotely on a slow connection, I tried to check the status on a network card...accidentally disabled the card.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    I'm doing an infrastructure audit for a customer and reported that their current engineer wasn't backing up their DCs System State data...only to find on second look that the Backup Selection which included that data was in fact running in a reoccurring job that I hadn't noticed. Of course, the best way to own up to a mistake is to be honest about it so I did that but ended up accidentally sending the email to the manager and the engineer in charge of the backups! lol So I used Exmerge to remove the message from his mailbox. hehe

Mistakes occur because we're human...it's how you handle the fallout that makes you either a Professional or a n00b.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012