Options

Script Repository Software

MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anyone know of a good script repository software?

I joined a company that actually has had a lot of good engineers so there are hundreds of scripts scattered around and I would love to be able to sort them.

PowerGUI doesn't seem to be what I want as they deal with automatically running scripts by clicking on them. If I'm wrong then just let me know.
My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What exactly are you looking for? Something that can store scripts and allow you to sort by different catagories, etc?
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What exactly are you looking for? Something that can store scripts and allow you to sort by different catagories, etc?

Some of the options I would like are:

* Check in/Check out option with automatic renaming of the scripts to another file extension to prevent accidentally running of another script.

* Be able to store version/owner information in the repository.

* Sort/Search for scripts.

* Store each script as a package. Meaning if a script requires 5 files to run (like a script to install a patch), be able to easily see/download those files by clicking on the script.

* Option to easily see general purpose.

If there isn't anything like this then we can probably make a Sharepoint site or use our developers code check in software. It would be nice to know how everyone else stores their scripts for their environment too.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mishra wrote: »
    If there isn't anything like this then we can probably make a Sharepoint site or use our developers code check in software. It would be nice to know how everyone else stores their scripts for their environment too.

Well I was actually going to suggest SharePoint. We use Subversion here, but it does not have most of the organizational features you are talking about - at least not that we use or that I have heard of.

One thing to be wary of is mapping drives to a SharePoint lib that requires checkin. You would probably want to do this for the script developers to allow them easier access. When users upload via WebDav to a library that requires check-in the item looks as if it is not there to everyone else in the world until the user goes through the web interface and checks it in.

So I see some potential issues in SharePoint as well. I'd be sure to check out Subversion with Tortoise SVN before you go to SharePoint.