Options

Professional resume writing?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Anyone ever paid to have their resume professionally written or re-written? Did it help with interviews? Mine is do for a bit of an overhaul, and dont want to use the same book or template examples, etc. Was your experience good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I have seen a professionally written resume and I think they are well worth it. Especially for IT guys, we aren't known for our stellar communication and writing skills.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Not sure why when the internet is full of information and examples. It would have to be a pretty high class and high paying job for me.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The internet is full of examples on how to set up hot standby routing protocol for failover. That doesn't mean that your average joe can go and set it up. There are thousands of examples of good resumes on the internet yet the majority of the ones that flow into hiring managers' inboxes are crap. When you work with recruiters they change your resume, they do that for a reason.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I don't want to come off as it not being worth it. Obviously if one has the time, money and lacks really good writing skills...a few hundred bucks might be worth it.

However, apparently out there and on here many manage to get jobs without. icon_rolleyes.gif I've scored 3 and had offers from more by doing my own.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I don't want to come off as it not being worth it. Obviously if one has the time, money and lacks really good writing skills...a few hundred bucks might be worth it.

I wouldn't spend money on professionals to write my resume (especially when you can have it peer-reviewed on this board for free ;)). I would rather take those hundred bucks and invest in business writing classes. After all, if you can't write a simple resume, how are you going to perform on the job, where you're expected write reports, memos, emails, and the like?
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're not scoring interviews with your resume, then getting a professional rewrite may be worth the money -- but it is cheaper getting a free opinion here first.

If you have the knowledge and skills AND the experience -- and there are jobs available in your area looking for your skill set -- then a professional rewrite usually more than pays for itself by reducing your time spent between jobs or searching for that next better paying job.

If you're just starting out trying to break into the IT field, then you're probably better off checking out your schools student services office. A lot of schools will have resume writing workshops and interviewing skills workshops available to their students (and maybe alumni).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!