Options

Advice for entry level desk support jobs?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have an interview for an entry level desk support(for a ISP client) on Monday, and honestly I’m a bit scared. I passed the phone technical interview, and the person interviewing said “I’m a little rusty, and I should study up over the weekend.” I froze on the question were they asked me, how do you connect a Windows XP computer to a network? I’m not really sure how to answer that one. The job is for a major ISP, but the recruiter told me that I had to pass a test to get the job. If I don’t pass the test I still qualify for other jobs, but not that one. Anyone have any advice? I reviewed the Train Signal Network+ troubleshooting video and I’m going to go over the Command line tools video too. Also, going to review command line tools, classes IPv4 in Exam Cram Network+. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have an interview for an entry level desk support(for a ISP client) on Monday, and honestly I’m a bit scared. I passed the phone technical interview, and the person interviewing said “I’m a little rusty, and I should study up over the weekend.” I froze on the question were they asked me, how do you connect a Windows XP computer to a network? I’m not really sure how to answer that one. The job is for a major ISP, but the recruiter told me that I had to pass a test to get the job. If I don’t pass the test I still qualify for other jobs, but not that one. Anyone have any advice? I reviewed the Train Signal Network+ troubleshooting video and I’m going to go over the Command line tools video too. Also, going to review command line tools, classes IPv4 in Exam Cram Network+. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Attaching a PC to a network or any device for that matter is simply fundamental. I would jettison the study guides and CBT's if I were you as most of that stuff is authored to get you through an exam. You should spend the weekend practicing adding a Windows XP computer to a network, and other clients for that matter. Use VMWare or other virtual environment.

This was one of the first things I had to learn when I started out in 1997. Understand the PC settings and process and it isn't difficult.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882

I like how some of the questions people in interviews ask. The XP one can be taken as that this machine needs to join the domain (which you can add the domain by right clicking my computer, select properties, computer name tab, then hit the change button)
    said

I seen people answer that question were they "just plug the machine into the ethernet jack and its on the network". the "connect to the network" part of that question can be worded better imo though I guess if it was it would give the answer away.

Be honest at your interview, try basic troubleshooting methods if you get stuck (ping ,etc). Also make sure you eat a good breakfast / lunch before your interview so your mind is fully functional.

The stuff I would look over depends on what the technical guy asked you on the phone. BAsed on those questions I would search more information on the topics he asked.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most important....relax, it's not life or death and the world won't end. When ever i go to a job interview I look at it as if they don't want me then screw'em I don't need them. There are plenty of jobs out there and I'm sure to land at least 1 I want. With that said...Good luck...