Options

advice for choosing between positions?

rocksteadyrocksteady Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
for background I'm basically choosing between 3 jobs right now. I'm receiving my bachelor's degree in a month in MIS, and have the Network+ and A+. Besides working retail at an electronics store, this would be basically my first "real" IT job.

I'm currently choosing between a full-time technical support position. Answering the phone and answering email from customers, with a pay of $38-40k.

A part-time(to potential full-time) IT assistant position at a small firm while I'll be doing a variety of tasks, including supporting the whole company basically just me and the current IT guy, much more hands on, with in person interaction. $17/hr

A part-time gig working for the city, as tech support at a library. $11/hr

Basically i dont know if i want the 2 part time gigs right now, or the full time. I know full time is always the goal, but I'm thinking I do not want to work just on the phone and answering email ALL DAY. But i do know also that those are common tech support functions. I really like working with people, so thus is the dilemna!?

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Even if you're talking with people over the phone, you're still working with *people*. Doesn't mean you have to be standing right next to them.

$38K is a heck of a lot more than I made on my first IT job. If the people you interviewed with are nice, and the company seems to be solid, it's worth a shot.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    If this is your first real IT job, I would try not to be extremely picky. Tech support will be some good experience, which will in turn provide you with experience to allow you to get a higher level job at some point in the future. Just because you take this full time time job, doesn't mean you have to keep it forever. Look for something else in the meantime.

It's ultimately up to you and what you want to do more. Good luck in whatever you decide!
  • Options
    jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    rocksteady wrote:
    A part-time(to potential full-time) IT assistant position at a small firm while I'll be doing a variety of tasks, including supporting the whole company basically just me and the current IT guy, much more hands on, with in person interaction. $17/hr

I would go for this one for 2 reasons, 1st like you said its much more hands on and 2nd you'll bag all the hot office chicks since its just you and the current IT guy(... maybe I should make this #1 & the other #2).

Another plus is that the pay is not a bad start and it has potential for a full-time position.

Anyway, Good luck with any one that you choose.
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rocksteady wrote:

I would have to say go with this one. I got my MIS degree as well and all it got me at first was tech support over the phone. It's good experience but I don't really consider that real IT work. Real IT work is more hands on and usually you have your own desk, etc. The first one seems very tempting but it might get repetitive and the money might not be all worth it in the long run. I completely agree with jacev1 in how you will get more experience. Maybe one day you'll get promoted to full time and get a raise. But choose wisely and you have to remember everyone starts at the bottom at some point in their career. Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I suppose it just depends on a lot of factors. If you need the money to move out or whatever, I would go with the first one. If your ok financially, I would possibly go for the temp position since you you'll get more hands on, but still have the chance to obtain a full-time position.[/list]
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Heh, 38K for a phone support job.... as long as it's something that's not at risk of being outsourced, I'd be all over that. The 17/hr part time job looks pretty appealing, but if it's not fulltime, you'd probably be the first person to go if it was deciding downsizing was needing.

But to be honest, I'd go with the job where you think you'd enjoy working most. Job atmosphere goes a long way towards making a person happy, and if the money is good but you hate the job, you're not doing yourself a favor.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd get on the 38k-40k.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...