Need lab help for CCNA

howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
I understand that I can use GNS for part of my home, but what equipment should I get to work with it, and to save some money?

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would suggest you get 3 switches. I'd recommend (2) 2950s and a 3550. Just in case you want to do your CCNP or learn more about layer 3 switches. That should be all you need... HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I would suggest you get 3 switches. I'd recommend (2) 2950s and a 3550. Just in case you want to do your CCNP or learn more about layer 3 switches. That should be all you need... HTH.

-Peanut

No routers? I guess if you were going to use GNS3 you could get a single 2600 router with a good IOS and just clone it with GNS or just get the IOS itself and load it into GNS?
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No routers? I guess if you were going to use GNS3 you could get a single 2600 router with a good IOS and just clone it with GNS or just get the IOS itself and load it into GNS?

Usually when an individual says they plan on using GNS3 we assume they have legal access to the IOS software required to emulate the routers in the software. Otherwise, yes they will need to buy a router and follow cisco's rules for IOS downloads.

Since GNS3 does only router emulation, two 2950's and a 3550 (for easy transition in to CCNP) would be a good suggestion to work WITH GNS3.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Usually when an individual says they plan on using GNS3 we assume they have legal access to the IOS software required to emulate the routers in the software. Otherwise, yes they will need to buy a router and follow cisco's rules for IOS downloads.

Since GNS3 does only router emulation, two 2950's and a 3550 (for easy transition in to CCNP) would be a good suggestion to work WITH GNS3.

ahh that makes since. Thankss
  • howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I'm willing to get all Cisco hardware and not use GNS. I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Ideally, I'd like to go for my CCSP or CCVP next.
    I'm willing to get all Cisco hardware and not use GNS. I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Ideally, I'd like to go for my CCSP or CCVP next.

Those two use entirely different hardware, so it is kind of hard to prepare for that at the CCNA level. Consider looking into CCNA:S or CCNA:V after you get your CCNA to see if it is worth pursuing further for you. You will be dealing with firewalls in security, but will be dealing with phones, voice routers, analog gateways, gatekeepers, CUCM servers... much more in the voice side.

If you are interested in voice, grab a 1760V with a CME in its IOS and toy around with it AFTER you get your CCNA. You can buy the 1760V now and use it as one of your routers in your CCNA studies, but if you don't have a solid basic understanding of routing and switching, voice studies are going to be a little hard (not impossible) to grasp.

I'd suggest just buying a stock CCNA lab somewhere and studying for your CCNA. After that, you should have a little taste of security and a bit of knowledge on phones. Take that and run with what you find the most interesting.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Those two use entirely different hardware, so it is kind of hard to prepare for that at the CCNA level. Consider looking into CCNA:S or CCNA:V after you get your CCNA to see if it is worth pursuing further for you. You will be dealing with firewalls in security, but will be dealing with phones, voice routers, analog gateways, gatekeepers, CUCM servers... much more in the voice side.

If you are interested in voice, grab a 1760V with a CME in its IOS and toy around with it AFTER you get your CCNA. You can buy the 1760V now and use it as one of your routers in your CCNA studies, but if you don't have a solid basic understanding of routing and switching, voice studies are going to be a little hard (not impossible) to grasp.

I'd suggest just buying a stock CCNA lab somewhere and studying for your CCNA. After that, you should have a little taste of security and a bit of knowledge on phones. Take that and run with what you find the most interesting.

Wow, now that's the type of info I need! thanks
    thanks for everyone's advice.
    Now if I was going to use actual hardware routers, which do "you" suggest?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 2600XM supports IOS features/versions through Advanced Enterprise 12.4T

1721 routers can be found for $50 with the 32meg MAX Flash (and upgraded to the MAX DRAM later if they don't already come with it).
    They will support either Advanced Enterprise 12.4 or Advanced IP Services 12.4T.

You'll need one of the 12.4T features sets that supports Zone Based Firewalls for the CCNA Security.

The 1760s are useful if you later want to go for voice certifications since with the addition of PVDMs you can support the digital and analog VICs. The 2600XM can use an AIM-VOICE card to gain some voice support without the use of a Network Module.

Those routers also have the advantage of their IOS images being supported by Dynamips (and Dynagen/GNS3).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The 2600XM supports IOS features/versions through Advanced Enterprise 12.4T

1721 routers can be found for $50 with the 32meg MAX Flash (and upgraded to the MAX DRAM later if they don't already come with it).
    They will support either have Advanced Enterprise 12.4 or Advanced IP Services 12.4T.

You'll need one of the 12.4T features sets that supports Zone Based Firewalls for the CCNA Security.

The 1760s are useful if you later want to go for voice certifications since with the addition of PVDMs you can support the digital and analog VICs. The 2600XM can use an AIM-VOICE card to gain some voice support without the use of a Network Module.

Those routers also have the advantage of their IOS images being supported by Dynamips (and Dynagen/GNS3).

How many of each should I get (routers) would 1 2600xm suffice, with the 1760? plus some switches?
    I know they advertise on here, but has anyone used their lab book for the ccna? how are they to deal with?
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I know they advertise on here, but has anyone used their lab book for the ccna? how are they to deal with?

Never used their books (only CiscoPress used) but I have bought hardware from them (switches, routers, misc). Quick to ship. I've had one or two dead fans in the gear I got from them but they were quick to send out replacements fans for free once I told them that route would be cheapest and I was more than capable of installing them myself. Overall I would rate them a B+ and I would recommend them to friends.

Personally, I would recommend the following for CCNA labs:
    (2) 2600s (one of these could be replaced with something like a 1760 or 2500 if needed for cost savings but I prefer 2600s due to the ability to use various network modules, which can be a big plus if you get into more advanced studies)
    (2) 2950s
    (1) 3550 (I dont think this is needed until you get into CCNP but its very nice to have and could help you understand the real differences between L2 and L3 switching)
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
    How many of each should I get (routers) would 1 2600xm suffice, with the 1760? plus some switches?
    Depends on if your going the Dynamips route -- or if you want a full hardware lab.

4 routers and 3 switches lets you lab almost everything you'd need for the CCNA -- but make sure they come with the memory AND the biggest and baddest and latest IOS images available for that router series.

For the CCNA you only need one "good" router (supports SDM and Router on a Stick), and 3 adequate routers (could go as low at a $10 2501 router + $5 Transceiver for the AUI Ethernet port). But if you buy a "good" or "excellent" router that's also a supported router with Dynamips, you can buy 1 and emulate many (since you can connect your emulated Dynamips routers with your real hardware switches and routers).

3 Switches are the most useful for the CCNA -- at least 2 2950s, and a 3rd if the cheaper and older 2924XL-EN (worth about $10) are selling for the same as the 2950s ($25-50 is a reasonable range for 2950s, and under $25 would be a steal). I'm not sure if a "legacy switch" will be as useful in the future for some of the "historical theory" that used to be covered in the "old CCNPs" and would come up during CCIE studies. If your legacy switch supports dot1q-tunneling, it could be used as your "breakout switch" for Dynamips (and Dynagen/GNS3) if you don't want to have bunches of physical NIC Ports to connect Dynamips to your real hardware).

If you're looking to the future (like the CCNP), then hunting for a sub $125 3550 switch as your 3rd CCNA switch is your holy grail. I haven't been following the eBay prices closely, but you can usually find one for under $200. But don't suckered into buying a 3500XL-EN -- while they are nice switches they are not layer 3.
    If you're looking to the future (like the CCNP), then hunting for a sub $125 3550 switch as your 3rd CCNA switch is your holy grail. I haven't been following the eBay prices closely, but you can usually find one for under $200. But don't suckered into buying a 3500XL-EN -- while they are nice switches they are not layer 3.

I wouldn't even say they are nice switches XD. My 3500XL threw so many crooked wrenches into my voice studies I spent more time on it than I did on phones XD. As far as switches go, if you can manage two 2950's and a 3550 for your CCNA you will be set with that and a few routers. If you move on to CCNP, another 3550 and a few more routers will have you set.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
    I wouldn't even say they are nice switches.
    I use them for my home network with multimode fiber between my upstairs office, living room work/study area, utility room server room, and basement data center icon_lol.gif

While the 3500XL-EN PoE switches can reduce the power brick clutter of a Voice Lab, using the power bricks is cheaper -- plus you don't have the annoyance of the legacy configuration issues. I "grew up" with those switches so the "old ways" are what I first learned -- but I can see why that could be an annoyance to the younger crowd :D
    Thanks for the input
    Well I checked what I have at home,

1-2900XL
    4-1900s
    1-2514
    2-2505
    1-2501

is any of this useful to piece meal a CCNA lab?
    Depends on if your going the Dynamips route -- or if you want a full hardware lab.

4 routers and 3 switches lets you lab almost everything you'd need for the CCNA -- but make sure they come with the memory AND the biggest and baddest and latest IOS images available for that router series.

For the CCNA you only need one "good" router (supports SDM and Router on a Stick), and 3 adequate routers (could go as low at a $10 2501 router + $5 Transceiver for the AUI Ethernet port). But if you buy a "good" or "excellent" router that's also a supported router with Dynamips, you can buy 1 and emulate many (since you can connect your emulated Dynamips routers with your real hardware switches and routers).

3 Switches are the most useful for the CCNA -- at least 2 2950s, and a 3rd if the cheaper and older 2924XL-EN (worth about $10) are selling for the same as the 2950s ($25-50 is a reasonable range for 2950s, and under $25 would be a steal). I'm not sure if a "legacy switch" will be as useful in the future for some of the "historical theory" that used to be covered in the "old CCNPs" and would come up during CCIE studies. If your legacy switch supports dot1q-tunneling, it could be used as your "breakout switch" for Dynamips (and Dynagen/GNS3) if you don't want to have bunches of physical NIC Ports to connect Dynamips to your real hardware).

I've decided that I'm going to go the full on hardware route.

While I'm aiming towards CCNP/VP/SP, my primary focus is to knock out the CCNA.

What type of router would you suggest to add to the stuff I have? I know the 2500s are low rent, but is there a router that would make this setup much more dynamic? But at a reasonable cost.
    I've decided that I'm going to go the full on hardware route.

I enjoy my Hardware lab, kinda fun to fire up all the equipment. I know I could have done all my CCNA learning via Sims, but if it ever came down to a company wanting to know if I had any "hands on experience" I could at-least say I have ..some.. hands on
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I checked what I have at home,

1-2900XL
    4-1900s
    1-2514
    2-2505
    1-2501

is any of this useful to piece meal a CCNA lab?

2900XL switches - good as a third switch. You can't do a lot of things, and some things are different.
    1900 switches - IF it has a CLI, it's only IOS-like and the commands are only similar enough to lure you into a false sense of security. Not all models even have that mode. It does STP and VLANs, that's about all I can say for it.
    2500 routers - good enough to do most of what's on the CCNA.

Keep the 2900 and the 2500's and add at least a pair of 2950's and a 2600XM. I'd say offload the 1900's, but you wont get anything for them . You might as well find something to use them for.
    It is fun to plug a 1900 series switch into a network and watch it become root bridge :D -- so maybe keep 1 as the 4th switch in your CCNA Lab (with 2950s or better being #1 and #2).

You can use 2 of the 2500 series routers as a 4 port compound frame relay switch. If you have transceivers for the 2514 and 2501, you can build the tunnel(s) via Ethernet rather than the slow AUX port connection -- and add any or all of your 2500s (and their 2 serial ports each) to your frame relay cloud.
    Building a Compound Frame Relay Switch | INE

With 2 of the 2500s acting as your frame relay cloud, the other 2 2500s can be the frame relay spoke routers.

So you just need a router like a 2600XM series or 1721 (or 1760) to act as your hub router -- and do SDM and Router On A Stick (ROAS). And start hunting some deals for 2950 switches and maybe a WIC-1T or two for your hub router. The DB60 interface on the WIC-1T would let you standardize your lab on the DB60 to DB60 back-to-back cables. If you get a deal on a WIC-2T or WIC-2A/S you can get the Smart Serial to DB60 back-to-back cables for your lab.
  • darkshade9darkshade9 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would anyone suggest a certain kit from CertificationKits.com for the CCNA test?
    darkshade9 wrote: »
    Would anyone suggest a certain kit from CertificationKits.com for the CCNA test?

Good question.

Most their CCNA kits seem to contain the 2500s, where most of the folks on here call for the 2600s, and 2950 switches. Its pretty much unanimous on here. I might just have to piece meal my kit together. I'd rather just buy it all in one kit too.
    I might just have to piece meal my kit together. I'd rather just buy it all in one kit too.
    Building your own lab is a learning experience.

You can research the old routers, router memory, router and switch performance, interface cards and network modules, and IOS feature sets on the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets web page:
    Portable Product Sheets - Partner Central icon_study.gif

Then you can do more research on IOS images using the Cisco Feature Navigator icon_study.gif

You can also check out the Cisco Catalyst Switch Guide PDF ( http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/swit...cd805f0955.pdf ) and the Cisco Router Guide PDF ( http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...cd8019dc1f.pdf )
    and dream about the lab you could build if you won the lottery. icon_lol.gif

Then you have to figure out when it's worth bidding on a low priced As-Is no return eBay item with a vague description hoping for a steal -- or if you should pay a more and go with the item with a warranty and the output of a show version command.

When you buy a kit you're paying for the convenience of someone else doing your shopping and testing -- and replacing any DOA items. And hopefully they've maxed the IOS version to the biggest/baddest feature set the router can handle. But you do get the immediate gratification of pulling the routers and and switches (and hopefully cables and a lab book or at least some initial setup instructions) out of the box, plugging them in and together, and getting a start on your studies.
  • Dave88LXDave88LX Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're looking to the future (like the CCNP), then hunting for a sub $125 3550 switch as your 3rd CCNA switch is your holy grail. I haven't been following the eBay prices closely, but you can usually find one for under $200.
    I just picked up a [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3550-24-PWR-SMI off eBay for $133. Missed the holy grail by $8? icon_sad.gif I have my CCNA, but, looking to start building a CCNP lab. I won't hijack this thread though, I will hit up the CCNP forum to look for answers.

Decent deal though? I hope.
    [/FONT]