Options

Multiple postions for State of Iowa

SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
IT positions ranging from entry level to subject matter experts. Obvious catch is willing to relocate. Thought I'd put this out there for anyone looking for such an opportunity. Iowa is 1 of only 6 states where employees do not pay a monthly premium for health insurance. See link for more detail. All positions are in Des Moines area. I don't get any credit, just trying to help people find work if possible. Good luck.

All listings. Click SEARCH OPENINGS and then select POLK COUNTY. (Unfortunately it's not setup to where you can direct link.)

Here's the breakdown of what classifications are out there from time to time and pay scales.

IT Spec 1
$34k-$51k

IT Spec 2
$39k-$60k

IT Spec 3
$44k-$67k

IT Spec 4
$51k-$79k

IT Spec 5
$59k-$91k

IT Admin 2
$68k-$97k
WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yikes! I shiver when I think of how cold Iowa is. icon_tongue.gif
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll have to Google later to find what the other 5 states are where I don't have to pay medical...I know painfully well NJ is NOT one of them... icon_lol.gif

Edit: Finally! That was a rough one...here are the other 5:
    Arkansas, Delaware, North Dakota, Oklahoma and Oregon

ND is a PeopleSoft/Oracle shop as well...but there is no way in Hades...Delaware is the only state out of this 6 that I've been to...and that was just to pass through.

http://vote4theusa.us/2010/10/costs-soaring-for-providing-free-insurance-for-iowa-state-employees/
  • Options
    katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would kill to work for a state university in Texas. Maybe one day.
  • Options
    katierose wrote: »
    I would kill to work for a state university in Texas. Maybe one day.

They use PeopleSoft.....most of TX schools and State of TX does....

I'll either work there or retire there...preferably Austin. :) Ohhh one day....
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'll have to Google later to find what the other 5 states are where I don't have to pay medical...I know painfully well NJ is NOT one of them... icon_lol.gif

Supposedly the five other states are Arkansas, Delaware, North Dakota, Oklahoma and Oregon. (Note: Offered to at least some, if not all employees.)
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yikes! I shiver when I think of how cold Iowa is. icon_tongue.gif

I was in Des Moines almost exactly 2 years ago this week.

It was -14 when I arrived. The rental car area at that airport is outside and you have to walk to it. Sucks.

They do have one of the few remaining Bennigan's there, so it's not all bad.

I made a conscious decision after that trip to get more customers in the southern US....

MS
  • Options
    You get use to it. ;)
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    You get use to it. ;)

When you look like that shot of Jack Nicholson, at the end of the movie The Shining.
    Left Chicago long ago for a place where the weather suits my clothes. I'll go see Mom and Dad for the new year as a reminder if ORD and MID stay open; last week may be a predictor a bad winter ahead.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Bumping, more positions. Most of them involving skills with SQL, VB.net, Visual Basic, HTML, ASP and other database related stuff. Even 2 supervisor (IT ADMIN 2) positions have come up. Pay ranges for all of them are from $44k-$97k depending on the position. http://das.iowa.gov/hre/iowa.jobs.html > POLK County

More offices squeezing in those openings before the new governor takes over!

Snow melted for now, but likely not for long. Dress warm. ;)
  • Options
    BeachBeach Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I might be able to get rid of some coats if I moved from MN...
  • Options
    Beach wrote: »
    I might be able to get rid of some coats if I moved from MN...

So instead of wearing five coats at the same time, you'd have to wear, what, three?
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Hey, I'm in Polk County and making 37k running a department of 7 people and 2000 users. Is that bad ? :)
  • Options
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Hey, I'm in Polk County and making 37k running a department of 7 people and 2000 users. Is that bad ? :)

Oh c'mon...even in IA such nonsense couldn't possibly fly. I see the smiley that indicates you're joking....but seriously, if you're running a department of 7 people making 37k, that would mean your subordinates would have to be seeing like 17k-23k for that to even make sense.

I couldn't see that even in the public sector of states that are considered no better than third world countries (you guys know who you are.... icon_razz.gif .)
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Oh c'mon...even in IA such nonsense couldn't possibly fly. I see the smiley that indicates you're joking....but seriously, if you're running a department of 7 people making 37k, that would mean your subordinates would have to be seeing like 17k-23k for that to even make sense.

I couldn't see that even in the public sector of states that are considered no better than third world countries (you guys know who you are.... icon_razz.gif .)

Yeah, my subordinates make about 22-32k. I work in the private sector, but non-profit org. 37k after 4 years of being here. I'm not a VP but I am the department head.

If I quit i'd be flipping burgers because there are no jobs. They don't hire very often in scooby-doo ghost towns.

Welcome to Iowa -- state motto is "Fields of Opportunities".
  • Options
    Don't know where you're looking, but there have been IT jobs in Des Moines area alone for years, recession or not. Sticking to "ghost towns" is what your problem is. If you want to move up, either commute....or move. And if you're Cisco savvy, you're really missing out.
  • Options
    If you want to see a pathetic ghost town, drive through Sioux City some time. Gateway used to employ 6600 people (a huge amount considering the town's size), now Vizio is in the campus and employs 30 customer service reps.

The Google Data Center in CB, which according to the media was supposed to be totally awesome, employs approximately 25 network people. Great job, Counciltucky.

I typed this huge rant here about how my job allows me to see where the federal and state tax dollars are really spent, then I deleted it. I'll leave it up to your imagination to where the money in DM gov't really goes. It's helping fund the state's main products, which are empty promises and corruption.
  • Options
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    which are empty promises and corruption.

Can't deny that exists. icon_cry.gif

Let's not derail this any further though. This thread is suppose to assist those looking for work, and might go as far as relocating.
  • Options
    At least IL has you beat...not even NJ is as bad as IL or LA in that regard.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Don't know where you're looking, but there have been IT jobs in Des Moines area alone for years, recession or not. Sticking to "ghost towns" is what your problem is. If you want to move up, either commute....or move. And if you're Cisco savvy, you're really missing out.

I have to agree with this.

Des Moines is huge for the insurance industry, so it's common to find large insurance companies that have significant IT there. Additionally, Wells Fargo has some fairly significant things going on there too...

MS
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I love the cold weather and monster deer in the Midwest :) If I were to move, Iowa would be close to the top of my list.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre