Cisco 2507: Only Ethernet port is Ethernet0?

tharris1917tharris1917 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I bought 2 x 2507 Cisco routers. No problem with Ethernet0 management port. No problem with the 2 serial ports.

I have 16 ports that show up as "16 Ethernet repeator ports". They don't show up in "show interfaces brief" and I cannot run a show interface x or show ip interface x on them. In the running-configuration they show up as:

hub ether 0 1
hub ether 0 2, etc...for a total of 16 ports

Are these literally Ethernet hub ports?

Does it mean I can only work with the Ethernet0 management port and the two serial ports as far as CCNA configuration?

Thanks for any info.

- Terri

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are these literally Ethernet hub ports?
    Yes. The "internal" Ethernet 0 port gains access to your network via whatever devices you plug into the hub. You'd use a cross-over cable between the two 2507s if you wanted to have both their Ethernet 0 ports on the same network.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Terri,

I've never worked with a 2507, but according to this link, looks like those ports are only used as hub ports. Looks as if you can still practice some WAN routing with the serial interfaces though... good luck! HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does it mean I can only work with the Ethernet0 management port and the two serial ports as far as CCNA configuration?

You don't really need anything more than a single Ethernet interface when studying for the CCNA. Every one of my routers only has one, and it didn't hold me back any.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep, it's really just a hub. The way that helped me was visualize a hub plugged in with a cross over cable to a single port.

Those 2505/7 routers are very handy once you get your head around the hub.

A 2621xm wouldn't hurt too.
    -Daniel
  • tharris1917tharris1917 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses. I now understand the Cisco 2507 does not have any switch ports (I used the wrong terminology when I said only one Ethernet port). So that explains why I could not configure anything for ports 1-16...
    I also have a Cisco 2950 switch so I will stick to it for switch port configuration.

Cheers,

- Terri