Have 25XX access routers increase in value?

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
did the 2511 and 2512 Access routers increase in value over the past few years? I notice they go for some pretty high prices on ebay?

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took a look on ebay... the prices seem to be pretty consistent to what they've been over the past year or so IMO. Maybe someone else can weigh in. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't been watching them for too long, a couple months or so, but a quick glance over at ebay right now says that they've come down a bit from the $250 - $300 I remember seeing them going for. Look at this one for $135. icon_eek.gif

Cisco 2511 wired router - eBay (item 230549655813 end time Dec-11-10 13:09:16 PST)
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    if they are too much for you there are some other brands that work with cisco kit i got a cyclades 32 port console server for 90 gbp (the 16port 2511's are aorund 140 GBP). It uses the same rj-45 roll over cables and is way more powerful (it runs embedded linux) so if your in the market i would recommend these :) a quick search on ebay USA gave me Cyclades TS2000 32-port Console Terminal Server tested! - eBay (item 300499206177 end time Dec-10-10 11:33:46 PST)

(btw i have no connection to that seller or cyclades i just took a punt on it and have been well impressed)

Theres also some cheap bay networks one around on ebay but the cables are a bit diffrent (rj-45 plugs but the pin outs are wonky) or you could load up an old pc with extra com ports etc
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    some folks will inflate their price, just keep an eye out for a good deal. I managed to snag a 2511-RJ45 for 100 bucks
  • mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
    I am not in the market for one, I have an old 2512 I got years ago for something. Just wondering how much it is worth.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    mark076h wrote: »
    I am not in the market for one, I have an old 2512 I got years ago for something. Just wondering how much it is worth.

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. icon_wink.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wbosher wrote: »
    It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. icon_wink.gif
    Yeah -- there's always a consultant in Podunk who walks into a small company and finds an old device that needs replacement. Those are the targets for the $700 2501 routers on eBay. If they are are adding a 10-15% markup on the cost of the replacement, they make more money buying the $700 replacement router rather than the more realistic $10 2501 router. Shady consultant taking advantage of clueless customer is an age old tradition. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
    I could have sworn the access routers used to be cheap. I was wondering if they have increased in price as people have found them useful for lab environments?
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    yeah, the certification boom has shot the cost of the access servers up, as Cisco didn't really continue with the product line. The next closest from the 25xx serious are the ASYNC NM's (they go for a pretty penny as well). In the enterprise, the console servers are just used for out of band management, and people have moved on to other solutions for that. The guys selling these know that they're a major convenience for someone building a home lab, since OOB management is more important in that regard, since your configs will be constantly changing, making setting up in band management unrealistic.

So they know they can get you for a premium when it comes to removing the annoyance factor of having to keep moving the console cable