Options

What do you bring with you to an interview?

I'm interviewing this afternoon for a full time Windows System Engineer position. Other than a few copies of your resume and a list of references, what do you typically bring with you to an interview? Do you offer up transcripts for any of your certs? Business cards? Deodorant?
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I usally bring references, links to cert transcripts, business card, and a positive attitude.
    The last part I try to fake the best I can but it's not working very well so far.
    Maybe I should bring a gift certificate for a night with some hookers...j/k
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll typically bring an ink pen and a notepad. That way you can jot down information as they tell it to you. It helps me tremendously towards the end of the interview when you want to bring up some questions and jot down the answers, or to remember the name(s) of the person(s) interviewing... just a thought!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll typically bring an ink pen and a notepad. That way you can jot down information as they tell it to you. It helps me tremendously towards the end of the interview when you want to bring up some questions and jot down the answers, or to remember the name(s) of the person(s) interviewing... just a thought!

-Peanut

+1

With several copies of my resume.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What's worked for me is my game face; never let them see you sweat. icon_cool.gif

Positive and relaxed attitude.
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When they call up asking if I want to do an interview, at the end I usually ask if they need me to bring any thing specific. If they say no, I usually just bring a pen, small pad, and make sure I have my drivers license and social security card. Depending on the job I may bring my passport or birth certificate.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    hey good call on the pen/pad, I never thought about that
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    I bring a black business folder that contains:

3-4 copies of my resume
    2 copies of my MS transcript
    A write up of the company that I pulled off their website
    5-10 questions that I tend to ask (this gets narrowed down to 2-3 as the interview goes on)
    2 pens
    Pad of paper for me to take notes

I don't bring my references unless they ask specifically.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Taking notes and asking questions displays that you have great interest in the job. By questions, I don't mean vacation or that kind of thing.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Well, I think it went pretty well. They asked about salary, and when I could start if offered the job - I usually see that as a good sign.

On another note, I'm getting ready to write my follow up emails. Should I send one to the technical recruiter, who set up the initial interview? I met her briefly today to go over benefits, and to sign the paper work to run a criminal background check. Would sending a thank you to her be over the top?
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jmritenour wrote: »
    Well, I think it went pretty well. They asked about salary, and when I could start if offered the job - I usually see that as a good sign.

On another note, I'm getting ready to write my follow up emails. Should I send one to the technical recruiter, who set up the initial interview? YES. I met her briefly today to go over benefits, and to sign the paper work to run a criminal background check. Would sending a thank you to her be over the top? NO, not at all

Hope it turns out well for you, it's looking good so far.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    jmritenour wrote: »

On another note, I'm getting ready to write my follow up emails. Should I send one to the technical recruiter, who set up the initial interview? I met her briefly today to go over benefits, and to sign the paper work to run a criminal background check. Would sending a thank you to her be over the top?

As old fashion as it sounds, sending or delivering yourself an actual letter can potentially go farther than someone who ran off an email.

I always made sure to mention something specific from the interview like "I especially enjoyed hearing about Company X's future server migration projects."
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    SteveLord wrote: »
    As old fashion as it sounds, sending or delivering yourself an actual letter can potentially go farther than someone who ran off an email.

I always made sure to mention something specific from the interview like "I especially enjoyed hearing about Company X's future server migration projects."

I can't say I disagree with that, but they're planning on making a decision by the end of this week, so old fashioned snail mail probably wouldn't get there in time, unless I had it sent next day, and even then, who knows? And it is about an hour drive, so delivering in person isn't really practical.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    When they call up asking if I want to do an interview, at the end I usually ask if they need me to bring any thing specific. If they say no, I usually just bring a pen, small pad, and make sure I have my drivers license and social security card. Depending on the job I may bring my passport or birth certificate.

basically...i HATE carrying my résumé and not having to use it...so i always ask if i need to bring it. i make sure to always have a pen too. you dont need your SS card until your filing out your offer letter & employment package....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ive never taken a pen and paper my writing is horrible any how!
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DoubleD wrote: »
    ive never taken a pen and paper my writing is horrible any how!

so wat do you use to fill out an application? not every place uses online apps
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe overkill but...

Things I bring to an Interview:
    -printed copy of the Directions
    -printed copy of the email confirming the time and day of the interview
    -printed copys of my resume
    -printed copy of my references
    -printed copy of the job listing which I applied to
    -printed copy of the online application I filled out (If there is one)
    -paper
    -pen
    -list of questions I have for the interview
    -All of which are put into my leather folder
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA