Options

Entry Level Support Cert

steve617steve617 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Me and a friend has recently recieved our BA in Information Technology. He has literally limited hands on experience and is trying to get some experience to get a job in the IT field. He is in his early 50's for what that matters and wants to start studying for a cert. I think anything entry level in a support field would be good. I would just like to help him get started. He just mentioned studying for some microsoft certs. I suggested he may want to look into A+ or the Vist cert. Anyway any suggestions for a entry level or less challenging exam.
"The Piney Bluff Tech Guy"
www.pbtechguy.com

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    steve617 wrote: »
    Me and a friend has recently recieved our BA in Information Technology. He has literally limited hands on experience and is trying to get some experience to get a job in the IT field. He is in his early 50's for what that matters and wants to start studying for a cert. I think anything entry level in a support field would be good. I would just like to help him get started. He just mentioned studying for some microsoft certs. I suggested he may want to look into A+ or the Vist cert. Anyway any suggestions for a entry level or less challenging exam.

A+ sounds good. Have him start with that and see if he enjoys it. He might learn a lot from studying Windows 7. I have always enjoyed supporting operating systems over hardware.
  • Options
    g725sg725s Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You mention Windows 7 Support. Are there many positions where you can do both hardware and software support in the same position?
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    g725s wrote: »
    You mention Windows 7 Support. Are there many positions where you can do both hardware and software support in the same position?

The combination of the work might fall under a title such as "Desktop Support Technician" but these titles and duties aren't always what they seem. The basis of the skills you will gain from the MCTS Win7 will apply to earlier versions of windows (the syntax will be different) and in turn will help round out your OS knowledge in regards to Microsoft client side operating systems.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Desktop support you'll do both. Also I'm doing both as a field tech.
    I'd probably recommend your friend get the A+ first as that is pretty much required if you don't have experience. Studying for the A+ will get some exposure to both hardware and software (to a lesser extent).
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    g725s wrote: »

That's what I do. I've been on Windows 7 since July and we have been rolling it out for the last 2 months.