What do you keep for resume purposes?

Hello all. Since I'm a military network tech, I'm not really in the job market now, but I wanna keep a current resume on file at home for when the time comes. Now, I had a teacher in school that gave me the advice to keep things from my career (performance reports, copies of certs, etc) in a binder so I can take it with me to any interview so I can show my achievements if the need arises. Is this a good idea and how in depth should I go? Thanks for any comments. :)
Reloaded~4~Ever

Comments

• TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    You can carry them with you, but I wouldn't pull them out unless asked for them. Additionally, many of the certification vendors have a way that third parties can verify your certification online, should proof be required. Details can be found on each vendors' Web site.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • shadeedshadeed Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    reloaded wrote:
    Hello all. Since I'm a military network tech, I'm not really in the job market now, but I wanna keep a current resume on file at home for when the time comes. Now, I had a teacher in school that gave me the advice to keep things from my career (performance reports, copies of certs, etc) in a binder so I can take it with me to any interview so I can show my achievements if the need arises. Is this a good idea and how in depth should I go? Thanks for any comments. :)

Bro, I'm ex military and I started up my own resume company in addition to my dayjob as a Network Engineer. It won't hurt to keep a binder for interviews, your goal is to sell yourself as much as possible, don't go back to 1992 or anything like that, just show the height of your achievements, certs etc and that's it. IT companies do not care about military achievement medals and good conduct awards, they only wanna know what you can do for them skill-wise.
    If you need my services, I will review your resume for free, and give you my professional opinion.
    Taking over the IT world...one cert at a time.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a binder. It includes certs, transcripts, awards, performance reviews, etc. It also has extra copies of my resume, cover letter, and the job ad. I research the company before the interview, and I will keep some of the material in the binder.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I have a binder. It includes certs, transcripts, awards, performance reviews, etc. It also has extra copies of my resume, cover letter, and the job ad. I research the company before the interview, and I will keep some of the material in the binder.

I've actually been meaning to do something like this myself, but I haven't gotten around to getting a binder.