Options

802.11n throughput?

babixgbabixg Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have been watching trainsignal videos, and it says that 802.11n has max data rates upto 100Mbps.

When I look at MCMCSE guide it states 540Mbps. I found a 802.11n white paper from Broadcom that says it's 600Mbps max. Wikipedia seems to say it's 600Mbps too.

Can someone tell me what is the max throughput of 802.11n network? I'm confused.

Thank you so much.

Comments

• Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Its claimed to have a MAX throughput of 600Mbps but if you ever hook up a wireless N router you will only get 100Mbps. I think its 600 Mbps if you have ALL of the equipment that can handle up to 600 Mbps. But for the Net+, its 100Mbps.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Right now, the IEEE's official standpoint on the throughput of 802.11n is at least 100Mb/s.
    Abstract: This amendment defines modifications to both the IEEE 802.11 physical layer (PHY) and
    the IEEE 802.11 medium access control (MAC) sublayer so that modes of operation can be enabled
    that are capable of much higher throughputs, with a maximum throughput of at least 100 Mb/s, as
    measured at the MAC data service access point (SAP)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    i've also read that it is 400mpbs
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Right now, the IEEE's official standpoint on the throughput of 802.11n is at least 100Mb/s.

It also states it as up to 600MB/s on page 247 and 300+ in some cases on page 288. As far as Network+ goes answer the one that it is looking for.
  • Options
    babixgbabixg Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone!!

I think I found out how now...

It's 100Mbps but can reach 600Mbps with the help of MIMO (multiple in and multiple out).

Thanks for informing that for N+ it's 100Mbps... that should help me study with the exam. =D
  • Options
    maps4youmaps4you Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Theres a lot of bad juju out there

But keep in mind that the BEST you can do. Probably will never get 600Mbps
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Its probably a bits/bytes thing. A lot of N routers advertise that they can do 300 megabits per second, which comes down a rate of about 60 megabytes per second, hence the throughput mentioned.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1