Options

How to retain knwoledge you gain during preparation for the exams.

Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
During last 6 months I passed 70-680 and 70-685 and now, without active practice, things I learned starts to fade away. It's simply because I don't have to use them very often.
For example: for windows deployment I don't have to use unattended instaliation. Or to recover Bitlocker keys, o to configure Direct Access.
Where and how can I practise? Do the same labs (there are too little of them)? Practise test would be good to refresh things, but to pay for them? no, can't afford that.
How to keep things in memory?

Comments

• Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Best way to keep things in memory is by doing it... Without practically applying what you are learning, you will be hard pressed to retain it over months and years. Set up a few virtual machines with Server and practice, continue to practice even when going for other certs as you don't want to lose the knowledge base you already have.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Matt27[lt] wrote: »
    During last 6 months I passed 70-680 and 70-685 and now, without active practice, things I learned starts to fade away. It's simply because I don't have to use them very often.
    For example: for windows deployment I don't have to use unattended instaliation. Or to recover Bitlocker keys, o to configure Direct Access.
    Where and how can I practise? Do the same labs (there are too little of them)? Practise test would be good to refresh things, but to pay for them? no, can't afford that.
    How to keep things in memory?

This is why people like RoguetoShadow, I and others feel you should only get certifications in technologies in which you practice everyday or at least on some regular occurance. If you just randomly grab some server cert for example, but don't use the technology it's waste at least IMO.

I think the best way to prevent this is to only cert in technologies you use or have been using for a while.

There are always exceptions to the rules. If you a hellbent on learning SQL and you cert and continue on then great that would be an example of learning a technology that you haven't used yet that you are retaining.

However if you go out and learn MS sharepoint and certify in it and then NEVER use it that to me cheapens the cert and provides nothing.

I have a glass house myself so I am not casting stones. My ISO 27002 and MOFF are examples of that. I remember very little from them. I could pick up my books and reference them, but nevertheless I still don't remember much from them.

However Network + and ITIL and ITIL OSA I use a lot in my current job. And those processes, frameworks, functions, and technologies really stick.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've always looked at certs in two ways. One is they show that you should have a basis of knowledge about a particular topic. The other is that they show you can set a goal apply yourself to complete it. Both are pretty good things to employers and supervisors.

I had the misconception that if I had a cert I was expected to be able to expertly answer everything about it. My previous supervisor didn't see it that way. So my EDA7 says that I have a good basis of knowledge with Windows 7, should know what the AIK is and how it's used, and should be able to hum a few bars in deployment. Also it's faster for me to answer a question if I've seen the topic before than if I'm trying to learn something new on the spot. In my resume I don't have any experience with deployment listed so people shouldn't be surprised that the knowledge faded some.

For practice for the exam grab an evaluation of Windows 7 Enterprise, install VMware player, and create a machine to mess around with bitlocker. Grab Server 08 R2 evaluation and set it in a separate virtual network and set up direct access or branchcache. That's free and easy.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    This is why people like RoguetoShadow, I and others feel you should only get certifications in technologies in which you practice everyday or at least on some regular occurance. If you just randomly grab some server cert for example, but don't use the technology it's waste at least IMO.

I think the best way to prevent this is to only cert in technologies you use or have been using for a while.

There are always exceptions to the rules. If you a hellbent on learning SQL and you cert and continue on then great that would be an example of learning a technology that you haven't used yet that you are retaining.

However if you go out and learn MS sharepoint and certify in it and then NEVER use it that to me cheapens the cert and provides nothing.

I have a glass house myself so I am not casting stones. My ISO 27002 and MOFF are examples of that. I remember very little from them. I could pick up my books and reference them, but nevertheless I still don't remember much from them.

However Network + and ITIL and ITIL OSA I use a lot in my current job. And those processes, frameworks, functions, and technologies really stick.

True story!
    tbgree00 wrote:
    I've always looked at certs in two ways. One is they show that you should have a basis of knowledge about a particular topic...

I heavily believe in this statement. In the end, everything that is advanced relies on a modification of the "basics". The foundational material you study, related or not, will stick with you for a longer time than most advanced functions of topics or subjects you are studying. Most books, training, and teachers tend to drill those objectives into your head over and over. If you aren't working in any relation to a subject it is definitely harder to recall. It's like riding a bike; you may have never have rode a bike past the age of x but if you got on one now, you'd be riding it as if you'd got off one.
  • Options
    DclownDclown Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess that also plays into certing in something you have a passion to do & not just because you feel it will lead to big pay. Idk, maybe I have no clue what I speak of... Just my .5cent ;)
    N2IT wrote: »
    If you just randomly grab some server cert for example, but don't use the technology it's waste at least IMO.

Very True! People forget a lot of things, but foundation is pretty hard to forget. Granted, my bike learning experience wasn't the best. Hey! I've never forgotten getting spanked for falling off, not that's foundation. Not quite.
    It's like riding a bike; you may have never have rode a bike past the age of x but if you got on one now, you'd be riding it as if you'd got off one.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For one, I keep notes. So I can always reference back. I keep the books too, but likely won't sit down again for a full read.

I'm not too concerned with forgetting. I know it is going to happen as I move on, but that doesn't mean all is lost. Situations will come up and I will think "I remember doing something like that before". And after a few minutes of google, I can usually figure it out.

Plus, the second time you learn something it comes a lot quicker since all the concepts already make sense.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dclown wrote: »
    I guess that also plays into certing in something you have a passion to do & not just because you feel it will lead to big pay. Idk, maybe I have no clue what I speak of... Just my .5cent ;).

IMO, if you have passion about something you won't need a cert to validate that, you will just do it because you enjoy it. In fact I find a lot of people who have passions for certain technologies never get certifications in them.

A buddy from college who graduated around the same time I did is a perfect example of this. He loves building websites and always has. He started off as a web developer and then eventually getting promoted to a project manager. He still continues to build sites on the side for profit and for fun. He has 0 certifications in development.

You can be passionate and not get a certification.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    You don't need to be working professionally with certain knowledge to obtain that certification. What you do need is to be involved with what you've learned in a way that is intellectually persistent.

Example: You took the CCENT exam and you're worried about forgetting how to subnet. Sitting at your kitchen table practicing subnetting 15 minutes a day with no expectation of gain is just silly. The practical way to retain your knowledge is to continue your studies with a related or higher level exam (if you can't use your knowledge in a work environment).
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.