Options

Custom Built Desktop

myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
In the IT realm I am pretty much a complete newb when it comes to hardware. I have always been completely uninterested in how a device turns on and functions as long as it turns on and functions, which has kind of hindered me right now since I kind of want to buy a new desktop but want to save some money and still have quality. I would like the total tab to be under 1k but if it's slightly over it's fine.

The desktop is going to be used for gaming and for multimedia functions such as watching Netflix and would like the desktop to have a blu-ray player. I plan on splitting one video connection to my TV and the other one to a monitor near by so my wife and myself can watch tv/movie while I'm doing w/e on the computer in the same room (my desk is in the living room).

I know it's kind of a burden to put together a list like this, but I'd much appreciate it if all the parts were linked to newegg for me to just add to cart then build it myself (hopefully I can figure out, about as much I have done is replace memory and hard drives) once it arrives. I have browsed the web looking for direction on builds, but some of the posts seem to be out dated and I kind of want an up to date build.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What a great opportunity to learn about hardware. Not trying to sound mean but do the research yourself it is much more fun and rewarding that way. If you have questions along the way don't hesitate to ask. It really isn't too hard to build a machine yourself.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Can you post the hardware that you think that is going to be part of your build?
    Is it going to be a mid-size or full-tower desktop?
    Intel or AMD?
    Nvidia or ATI?
    What kind of cooling this build going to have, is it air or water?

I will try to help you, but I need more info what kind of build this going to be.
    All I know is this is going to be a gaming/entertainment desktop.

For splitting the screen all graphics card now have at least two DVIs output (some have HDMI). If HDMI is not available for certain card they always comes with DVI to HDMI adapter.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The size of the desktop doesn't really matter too much to me, because it'll be hidden any ways. When I was trying to put it together online I liked the intel and nvidia series stuff. For cooling, I would have to say air will suffice but if water cooling is better and same price range I can try that too. I also want to use SSD probably like around a 64-128 gig range with an additional hard drive at around 300 gigs.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want a small form factor here is one possible combo deal:
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Here is a normal form factor with an ssd and a normal hdd:
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Other combo deals can be viewed here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/MasterComboStore.aspx?StoreID=7&name=DIY-PC-Combos

Just some ideas (note that combos don't always include everything you need the second combo I listed didn't come with a graphics card)
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    The size of the desktop doesn't really matter too much to me, because it'll be hidden any ways. When I was trying to put it together online I liked the intel and nvidia series stuff. For cooling, I would have to say air will suffice but if water cooling is better and same price range I can try that too. I also want to use SSD probably like around a 64-128 gig range with an additional hard drive at around 300 gigs.

Midi tower will surfice that size has 3 CD ROM bays whereas full tower has 5+

I always go with Intel, depending on your budget for a gaming rig an i5 is plenty anything more is purley for multi-tasking like having 30 programs all running at once

Water cooling is for overclocking if you dont intend on this purchase a new heat sink and fan dont use the stock one that comes with your CPU the size difference is unbeleivable, stock one is little bigger than a 20 pack of cigarrettes whereas one with decent size heatsink is little smaller than a PSU

SSD is a good choice but make sure you get one with a decent read write speed I have seen some at cut down prices but they are also cut down read/write speed, anyting above 250MB read speed is decent and you only need 40GIG max as you will only have the OS on it, if you install Office you have that installed to a slave drive by changing the install path

1TB drives now are very cheap difference in cost between 300gig and 1TB is very little

lastly as long as you choose the right memory for your MOBO and dont miss off the brass risers inside your case there is very little than can go wrong

hope that helps
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Water cooling is for overclocking
    I disagree on this one.

For the mobo, I would highly recommend these brands, EVGA, Asus and Gigabyte.
    When buying a CPU make sure that the socket is compatible with the mobo.

Also, if you are planning to setup a dual cards(SLI or Crossfire), I would recommend that you buy the X58 mobo because the PCIe's support x16, x16, x8 at least for the standard X58. Therefore, you would get the full bandwidth of your cards.
    But if you are going to stick with just one graphics card, the P55/H55 should be fine. P55/H55 can only handle one PCIe x16 then x8, x4 due to there is no IOH. Everything is in the CPU.

I use the OCZ Vertex SSD for my OS and drivers, and HDD for software and data.
    A single SSD should be enough. I haven't tweaked my Windows 7 for performance yet, and my boot up speed is exactly 22secs. Well, I manually align my SSD.
    For the SSD brand I would say the Intel, but they are pretty expensive, so OCZ or Corsair. And before you buy one, check the manufacture if they have trim available for the SSD you are buying. The Trim is very important for SSD, and DO NOT DEFRAG your SSD because that is VERY BAD, use trim instead.
    Another tip, try not to keep writing on the SSD because the more you write the cells die faster. You will notice it when the maximum amount is decreasing.

About the HDD, I would say the Western Digital Caviar Black. Also, if you are going to WD route, you can go to WD's website and download the WD/Acronis software for free.

Power Supply. This is very important. Don't be cheap because you are going to end up spending more.
    Get a really good brand like Corsair, Silver Stone, PC Power and Cooling. I like Corsair myself even my RAMs are Corsair.
    Also, get the 80+ certified PSUs.
    For the build your getting 750W should be fine.
    Here's my tip on buying a PSU, don't look at the amount of Watts, look at the +12v rail. I would say get at least 60A. The higher the Amp the better. If you see multiple +12V rail, just add all the @XA(where X is value of amp) then you get the total amount of amps.

For air cooling, heatsink and fins, the best material is copper. Same thing if you are going to water cooling. However, if you are going H20 make sure that you don't mix copper and aluminum. For example, let's say you're CPU waterblock is made of copper, and your barbs is aluminum. That is really bad setup because that would cause corrosion. Copper and brass are fine together. Also, the holy grail in H20 setup is the PTnuke. Just Google it. If you have question about water cooling just ask.
    Also, if you could, try to avoid dyed water because it is a ***** to clean, and don't use tap water because the minerals it has, it will be a big problem. I use distilled water, and PTnuke great combination.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    If you want a small form factor here is one possible combo deal:

Here is a normal form factor with an ssd and a normal hdd:

Other combo deals can be viewed here:

Just some ideas (note that combos don't always include everything you need the second combo I listed didn't come with a graphics card)
    A combo is a great way to go. You avoid potential compatibility issues, you still have some freedom to choose certain parts, and you still get to put it all together! It's fun to get all the boxes in the mail, and tear into it when the time is right. My own PCs are almost always upgrades, so it's less exciting to get only a motherboard and CPU in the mail, but occasionally I will build a new one with mostly new parts.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV