Options

Growing faster than coworkers

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Has anyone experienced a situation where you grow within the department faster than your coworkers? Assume your coworkers has worked there for 2-3 years and trained you since the start. But suddenly, you end up managing them after a couple years down the road because you learn triple the speed?

I'm just making up assumptions. How would you feel? I would probably feel good but at the same time it might feel strange? because they trained you but you end up managing them?

Comments

• Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It can be lonely at the top....

I went to work for a large plant with five IT guys, 6 months later I got a 10K raise and my Idiot boss thought it would be funny to tell the guys who had been there without a raise for the last two years, this caused me plenty of hell for the next two years, of course it felt great to me.

You have to do whats in your best interests, you have to give your best effort at getting along with your co-workers, show me someone who likes everyone and I'll show you a liar.

Other than that I don't give to cents what they think.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    It can be lonely at the top....

I went to work for a large plant with five IT guys, 6 months later I got a 10K raise and my Idiot boss thought it would be funny to tell the guys who had been there without a raise for the last two years, this caused me plenty of hell for the next two years, of course it felt great to me.

Wow i'm amazed your boss didn't get in trouble with that one. That's usually a huge no-no.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea, this was a fortune 500 company to boot, lots of stuff went on there, drinking on the premises, they caught a HR assistant propositioning new hire females saying he could gurantee them perks, etc. just too much to list.

I lived through it an learned one hell of a lesson through no fault of my own, never ever divulge your salary to your co-workers, it works the other way to, do you really wanna know that the bosses favorite pet who can barely dress themselves makes twice what you do?
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I'm finding it right now, I've been in the job a year, and already learnt pretty much everything to know in my role about 3 or 4 months ago. Yet, all my coworkers have been in it for about 4 years and dont know the job as well me.

Just hope you get noticed and get pushed further on.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Yea, this was a fortune 500 company to boot, lots of stuff went on there, drinking on the premises, they caught a HR assistant propositioning new hire females saying he could gurantee them perks, etc. just too much to list.

I lived through it an learned one hell of a lesson through no fault of my own, never ever divulge your salary to your co-workers, it works the other way to, do you really wanna know that the bosses favorite pet who can barely dress themselves makes twice what you do?

+1 NEVER divulge your rate or salary to anyone you work with. Ever. There are limits to what your co workers have a right to know. Your salary is your own business. Cuts both ways this though, dont fish to find out theirs either. I worked a contract a couple of years ago and after one renewal decided to take a break and move on. The line manager wanted to know what I was paid as opposed to what they were paying the agency for my time. I advised him to let me know what they were charging me out at (I could guess anyway) and I would check my rate and get back to him. He never told me what they charged me out at and was left guessing what I took home as I walked out the door. Nosy about the life of a contractor I guess and perhaps naively thought he could lowball the agency next time if he knew what their margin was but trust me they wouldn't shift on that rate. How would he like it if I asked 'What's your salary Mark?'. It's your own business, keep it that way.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Harrrr! That "never divulge your salary" is a wonderful idea. In my case, unfortunately, I work for a public school system, and every year, right about the time budget approval comes up, one of the local "newspapers" (and I use that term very liberally here) with a huge ax to grind against anything that uses local tax dollars prints the salary of EVERY county employee - teachers, police officers, county clerks. So we all know what each other makes.

It's annoying, but as a county employee, it's a matter of public record - any taxpayer would be entitled to find out simply by going to the county courthouse and requesting the information themselves.

It's one of the major reasons I want out, and back in the private sector.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It happens. You can only do you. If they were wanting to grow then they would still be pass you. Sometimes people get comfortable in the job and skip learning for the career.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    Harrrr! That "never divulge your salary" is a wonderful idea. In my case, unfortunately, I work for a public school system, and every year, right about the time budget approval comes up, one of the local "newspapers" (and I use that term very liberally here) with a huge ax to grind against anything that uses local tax dollars prints the salary of EVERY county employee - teachers, police officers, county clerks. So we all know what each other makes.

It's annoying, but as a county employee, it's a matter of public record - any taxpayer would be entitled to find out simply by going to the county courthouse and requesting the information themselves.

It's one of the major reasons I want out, and back in the private sector.

Same in NJ, you can go online and check DataUniverse and find out what anyone makes with in State/County/Local goverment. My Pay and OT was published once for being in the top 10 in the school districts (current job), then again half the top 10 were from our dept. I heard crap about that from people who thought I was sucking up OT (including people from within the dept who do bare minimum) for almost a year. I stopped doing OT and things stopped getting done fast and projects sat until blocks of time could be scheduled.

Another time on a contract 1 guy found he was making half ($9/hr) what the next lowest person was being paid. This contract had a dozen different staffing companies paying different rates for the same work. He quit the next day.

Knowing what your co-workers make and them knowing what you make will always cause problems. A lot of people feel entitled to more simply because they have been their longer or the have more certs or a higher degree, with or without being better at the job or not.
  • Options
    Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually don't care if people know how much I make. If they know or find out that's fine with me. I don't openly tell anyone but if they find out that's fine.

Although, at my current job everyone knows or has a good idea of what everyone else. We don't get raises and we all start off at same rate. Everyone just knows. Even our overnight guys make the same as everyone else. I know this because I was overnights before I went to days.

I can say that knowing everyone's rate and knowing that raises aren't given out doesn't foster an environment where you want to excel.
    Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

On the list for January 2011
    Project+ and CIW Foundations.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    ...I work for a public school system, and every year, right about the time budget approval comes up, one of the local "newspapers" (and I use that term very liberally here) with a huge ax to grind against anything that uses local tax dollars prints the salary of EVERY county employee - teachers, police officers, county clerks.

My local newspaper does that for the county and for the state. Taxpayers have a right to know that information. When looking through the IT department it is just disgusting to see much of the 3 VPs of IT, 5 Chief X Officers related to IT, and all of the redundant directors of IT make... and how that whole structure could be consolidated to about 5 people that still make a good salary and save a few million dollars for taxpayers.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Yeah...the joy of being a public employee. Our paper ran a huge article on state employee overtime and even put together their own online database where you could look up just about anyone's salary, various compensations, sick time, etc.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    This happens to everybody at the job in some sort, and I have been on both ends of it. Some people's brains just operate with more horsepower than others. In every situation I've been in, If I'm the smartest person, I won't stay in the position and I'll xfer to another one where I feel more challenge. An old quote is "if your the smartest person in the room, your in the wrong room". I live by that and will only work with people who I deem smarter than me so I'm always learning. This even works for leadership. You don't want to be the smartest person as a leader, you want to be the best decision maker.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related