Options

Question: Calling a company after submitting a resume?

BerryKixBerryKix Banned Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
After submitting my resume to so many companies online, I get the impression it's being filed in a black hole. Should I be getting on the phone and trying to find a way to get to the human resources department to follow up? Some of these companies don't even let you put in a cover letter when applying to their jobs through their websites.

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I once submitted one to my wife's hospital. After a few weeks, the job was no longer posted and I was wondering what the deal was. When I called in and got in touch with the manager, they had never seen it. Yet...I had the confirmation email right in front of me.

It is entirely possible for stuff sent electronically to get lost, never get seen or just get accidentally deleted.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    DclownDclown Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm no HR person & I understand exactly how you feel. I think a lot of companies today get WAYYY more resumes than they would even think of having time to go through so, they simply scan for certain words in resumes and automatically weed through that they think they might want. After that they might send out a thank you for trying you were this close type of reply and at others they say nothing.

I could be wrong again. Just seems to be the case to me.

Good Luck !!
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm wondering this myself. I've sent out a lot of resumes lately, but I haven't been hearing back from anyone (could be my resume....). For those that do this, how long do you wait after you've applied to give them a call? And when you do call, what do you say? Do you go along the lines of "Just wanted to know if you've gotten my resume, and can we schedule an interview" or something to that effect?
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    When i took an A+ plus course that had people at the school who used to be HR people and they shed some light on the subject. One thing a lot of people dont realize is sending resumes online is probably the least effective way to get a job. Not saying it doesnt happen, i`ve gotten a job like that but in these times it is the least effective. Another thing was that a lot of HR people use programs that scan your resume for key words. if your resume doesnt contain any or enough, it is automatically discarded. There are a ton of reasons why your resume doesnt even get read and a bunch of techniques that you can use to up your chances. For instance, doing your homework to find out who the hiring person is and sending them an e-mail personally. Some companies have personel information on there website. I did that once to BMW of Manhattan and actually received a letter from the person i sent my resume to. I KNOW!! an ACTUAL letter. i thought people didnt use those anymore either. But on a more serious note. I`ve found the single greatest way to get a job is through someone you know. Think about the people you know, there`s a big chance most of them got there jobs through somebody they knew.
    I hope this info was helpful.

Oh yea, I wouldnt contact a company with a follow up after sending my resume into a pool or the "submit your resume here" box. Only after talking with the hiring person, or at least getting there information. A lot of times your going to have to deal with the gate keepers(secretaries) but after awhile you will get the hang of it.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]