Can Video Tutorials and Labs provide enough to achieve my certifications?

supesupe Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_study.gif

Can Video Tutorials and Labs provide enough material to achieve my certifications?

I'm just about to begin CCNA study, starting with CCENT, and based on the feedback received on this forum, I will be using the following Study Tools;
  • CBT Nuggets CCENT
  • CBT Nuggets ICND2
  • GNS3
Please tell me if the above materials suffice to achieve my CCENT and subsequently, my CCNA?

BTW: mikej412 says no

supe

Comments

• WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    I would recommend using another source like maybe a CCNA Book or even CCNA Labsim which has built in labs for you to use. The more you broaden your knowledge base, the better chance you have of passing a certification exam.
  • cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    Not enough. You will surely fail. You need the book and a LOTS of Lab time. Its crucial you the understand lab or you will fail.
  • supesupe Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just created a list of associated textbooks, with title, publication date and number of pages;

CCNA, 4/12/10, 88 pages
    CCNA Complete Guide 2nd Edition, 21/09/10, 334 pages
    CCNA for Dummies, 12/4/10, 1008 pages
    CCNA 640-802 Exam Certification Library: Simulator Edition, 9/1/10, 1400 pages
    CCNA Simplified, 1/12/09, 598 pages
    Cisco CCNA/CCENT Exam Preparation Kit, 17/7/09, 848 pages
    CCNA Certification Kit: Exam 640-802, 3/2/09, 1008 pages
    31 Days Before Your CCNA Exam, 19/11/08, 432 pages
    CCNA Exam Cram, 8/1/08, 552 pages
    CCNA Official Exam Certification Library, 4/9/07, 1475 pages
    CCNA Study Guide [Sybex], 1/9/07, 1008 pages

Also, you seem to be saying that the CBT aren't enough to pass.... would it be best if I just read the textbook, and skip-over the videos entirely?
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Use the CBT's for an introduction to the material, then use either Todd Lammle's Sybex 6th edition CCNA book or Wendell Odom's Cisco press CCNA library for further understanding.

Then lab up everything you read about and you should be good to go.

Personally, I would recommend the Train Signal CCNA videos over the CBT nuggets.
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    i would say you can do it with just the kit you have. however i would recommend getting the ccna books by wendell odom they are probably the most useful cisco press books because they ease you in whilst filling your head full :)

if money is an issue you can always read the RFC's to go with the video's. they can get a bit specificationey (you'll know what i mean) but thats the whole point of them and sometimes it can really hammer home the lessons.

other than that lab lab and lab again you can pass the ccna without much labbing (i did first time round) but trust me you will forget most of what you learnt and although you have a peice of paper it wont mean squat so lab it up
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    Use the CBT's for an introduction to the material, then use either Todd Lammle's Sybex 6th edition CCNA book or Wendell Odom's Cisco press CCNA library for further understanding.

Then lab up everything you read about and you should be good to go.

Personally, I would recommend the Train Signal CCNA videos over the CBT nuggets.

The problem is, while Train Signal has a ton more information packed into their training, the instructor is really dry and boring. I retained more by using CBT Nuggets as the Instructor was more interesting to listen to.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I certainly agree that Jeremy Ciara is more engaging, but I always felt that the depth just wasn't there. Chris Bryant is a little monotone and some of the videos run a little long but for me the greater coverage is worth it. Just brew up a pot of coffee and get your learn on! icon_biggrin.gif
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    All depends on your learning style. My buddy passed with just the nugget videos. If you are brand new to Cisco I would recommend reading Odems book along with the nugget videos
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    It all depends on what kind of learner you are. Some people go the book route, some people go the video route, some people go the video route.

What I have used to help pass all my Cisco certs is a blend of all of the above. Buy the book for the exam, buy the videos and then try to buy some lab time or if get your hands on some lab equipment and lab it up.

I know some people that hate watching videos and others (like myself) just love watching them more than reading books.

Everyone learns different, so try out what you think you need to pass and then schedule the exam!

Hope this helps
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    It all depends on what kind of learner you are. Some people go the book route, some people go the video route, some people go the video route.

What I have used to help pass all my Cisco certs is a blend of all of the above. Buy the book for the exam, buy the videos and then try to buy some lab time or if get your hands on some lab equipment and lab it up.

I know some people that hate watching videos and others (like myself) just love watching them more than reading books.

Everyone learns different, so try out what you think you need to pass and then schedule the exam!

Hope this helps

+1. I have to start by watching a vid or in a classroom setting then I can go at the books. Usually when I just read the books, I can answer the questions, but I'm still lost. So if I don't have vid's I have to put in a lot of lab time and break it to actually understand the technology. So vids all the way for me.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll agree with previous posts! I personally like watching a video or something that will give me an understanding of what the material typically is. Then I can get into the books and have a better grasp of what it is I'm studying. If I just use a book... I'll have to read the materials multiple times before I have a good grasp of it. As said earlier though... it all depends on the type of learner you are. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    supe wrote: »
    icon_study.gif

Can Video Tutorials and Labs provide enough material to achieve my certifications?

I'm just about to begin CCNA study, starting with CCENT, and based on the feedback received on this forum, I will be using the following Study Tools;
    • CBT Nuggets CCENT
    • CBT Nuggets ICND2
    • GNS3
    Please tell me if the above materials suffice to achieve my CCENT and subsequently, my CCNA?

BTW: mikej412 says no

supe

I say No too icon_lol.gif

To complete this list i would add the Boson exam simulator and the Cisco Press CCNA certification exam. You should be solid to go with those 5 sources of practice and study materials. icon_study.gificon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX