Options

WinPE 64-bit Errors

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have tried to create a WinPE DVD four times now, and I keep getting an error when I boot from it. I didn't right it down, but it's like a Windows startup error...

"Due to a recent hardware or software change ..."

Anyone know about this type error? I will try to get more info, but thought I would put it out there. I should have just installed the 32-bit OS, since all the info I find is written based on the 32-bit OS!
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Are you using physical or virtual hardware to boot to? VMware/Virtualbox/etc? I have no issues using 64bit WinPE when I went through the build process. Need a bit more info on your setup.
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    Are you using physical or virtual hardware to boot to? VMware/Virtualbox/etc? I have no issues using 64bit WinPE when I went through the build process. Need a bit more info on your setup.

1. I have nothing virtual is in this configuration.

2. Just started studying the MS Press book and doing the lesson on page 67. Since that WinPE disc I created didn't work on either of my systems, I tried to build one using this link, although it's almost identical. However I walked through it making sure I modified the architecture on everything so it references amd64 and not x86, since I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I also added the "community content" suggested on the link at the bottom of the screen, for safe measure.

3. When I boot off the disc (all four disc I have created), I get the following error.

#################################################

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change migbht be the cause. To fix the problem...

1. Insert your Windows Installation Disc and restart.
    2. Choose your language setting and click next
    3. Click repair your computer.

If you do not have this disc contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

Enter=Continue Esc=Cancel

When I hit Enter the next screen display is as follows:

Choose an Operating System to start or press tab to select a tool.
    (Use arrow keys to highlight your choice, then press enter)

Setup [EMS]

To specify an advanced option for this choice press f8

Tools:
    Windows Memory Diagnostics

##############################################

Thanks for any feedback! icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    Did you copy the winpe.wim and rename it to boot.wim? I know that step is missing from that book and is something that gave me an issue.

copy c:\winpe\winpe.wim C:\winpe\iso\sources\boot.wim

Errata for this book - http://oreilly.com/catalog/errata.csp?isbn=9780735627086
    Printed Page 68
    number 5. oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO Cc:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso This command contains an extra "C". The proper command should be: oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709665(WS.10).aspx
    Paul Anstall MCT
    Printed Page 68
    oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com Cc:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_86\winpe_x86.iso Should be oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso
    Orin Thomas
    badge_author.gif
    Printed Page 68
    Additional for if you are using an x64 WinPE disk: oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_amd64\ISO\boot\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_amd64\ISO c:\winpe_amd64\winpe_amd64.iso
    Orin Thomas
    badge_author.gif
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    QHalo is right. But its not just that lab. I was studying for this exam back in may and i had to Google so many steps because they simply did not work. Commands were either missing or wrong.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    Thanks QHalo, ... I can boot off the disk now, making my fifth one... I just bought some more DVD's (RW's this time though). I think it was combination of things maybe. I'm not really sure what I was doing wrong, I got so many syntax errors and going through 5 disc to get a working one --- frustrating!

There appears to be so many errors in the MS book, and googling it just brought me back to what I had already read, which wasn't working! Any suggestions on a 2nd resource for this material?

I will have to bookmarked the o'reilly errata site!

Now to reflect on what I've just done--Thanks again! icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    I'm using the Sybex book and this book but I haven't revisited this yet as I'm concentrating on XenApp right now as my job is backing up our Sr. Citrix Engineer here now. Both are riddled with errors. Use the errata for both and you should be fine. Glad I was able to help out. :)
  • Options
    So I made the WinPE 64-bit disc using technet link above (technet) from QHalo, and wanted to make sure if needed again, I could quickly recreate another CD/DVD Winpe disc. So I was trying to merge the technet link, with the books instructions then decided to just use the technet instructions because it seemed more complete and robust!

My problem is ...

I cannot get the peimg to function, and get the following error. I changed my path but, still no luck!

############################################

c:\winpe_amd64>peimg /list
    'peimg' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

c:\winpe_amd64>cd C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools>peimg /list
    'peimg' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

################################################

So I skipped step #3 and step #5 altogether on the technet link. Outside of that issue, the walkthrough still creates the iso file and it works!

However, does anyone have any suggestions as to why I can't use this command or how to get it to work?

Also how does it affect my WinPE boot disk?

Thanks!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks QHalo, ... I can boot off the disk now, making my fifth one... I just bought some more DVD's (RW's this time though). I think it was combination of things maybe. I'm not really sure what I was doing wrong, I got so many syntax errors and going through 5 disc to get a working one --- frustrating!

There appears to be so many errors in the MS book, and googling it just brought me back to what I had already read, which wasn't working! Any suggestions on a 2nd resource for this material?

I will have to bookmarked the o'reilly errata site!

Now to reflect on what I've just done--Thanks again! icon_study.gif

In the future use a usb flash drive and save yourself the money on not buying discs.
  • Options
    kris speaks tr00f. USB flash drive always.
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    kris speaks tr00f. USB flash drive always.

Yea, that's what I get to do tonight ... but still not understanding why I can't use the peimg command???
    WIP:

Future Certs: