Options

Would it be pointless to get a masters right away?

I'll be finishing up my BSIT at WGU soon (hopefully by October 2011!) and I'm trying to to decide what to do. With no real job prospects right now I'm focusing on school a lot and I'm in the learning mood. I'm thinking of jumping right from the BSIT into the MS in IT Management at WGU OR trying for a MSEE. For sure the MS at WGU would be easier. But beside that issue, do you think I'd be hurting my job prospects by getting my MS before any real world experience in IT? Will a MS pay off in higher wages down the line? Just looking for opinions. Thanks.
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Down the line I believe an MS will pay for itself but at the end of the day it's who you know and what you know that will get you the job. In government jobs, a lot of the higher paying (usually management or architect) GS levels require a master's of some sort (usually related). Keep shooting out resumés like its fourth of July fireworks; you'll hit something eventually.

I'd say try to get into an entry level position that reimburses or helps employees with further education expenses and once you've settled in (about 6 months - a year) go for the masters or whatever will get you ahead within that company. In the example of grabbing a MS in IT management, it begs the question of how can be a "master" of management when you have never managed anyone (going based off your first post).
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    In leaving it off, just make sure any applications you fill out don't ask for all education to be listed and then at the end indicate that lying can lead to termination. It's a small chance, provided you've performed your job well, that they would pursue it but if 6 months into a position you all of a sudden whip out the master's in applying for another position it will look fishy.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Down the line I believe an MS will pay for itself but at the end of the day it's who you know and what you know that will get you the job. In government jobs, a lot of the higher paying (usually management or architect) GS levels require a master's of some sort (usually related). Keep shooting out resumés like its fourth of July fireworks; you'll hit something eventually.

I'd say try to get into an entry level position that reimburses or helps employees with further education expenses and once you've settled in (about 6 months - a year) go for the masters or whatever will get you ahead within that company. In the example of grabbing a MS in IT management, it begs the question of how can be a "master" of management when you have never managed anyone (going based off your first post). It might hurt you a little in that respect but you can always leave it off your resumé until you need it.

IT Management isn't just people; it's other resources as well that can be "managed".

Many jobs (at least in NJ government) will shave off the number of years of actual management experience if you have a Masters degree.

Magic, the masters program you choose is going to depend on the requirements. Some of them may want work experience with your application. Others just want a GMAT score. You may need to do some homework in that regard, but an MS can never hurt...
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In leaving it off, just make sure any applications you fill out don't ask for all education to be listed and then at the end indicate that lying can lead to termination. It's a small chance, provided you've performed your job well, that they would pursue it but if 6 months into a position you all of a sudden whip out the master's in applying for another position it will look fishy.

I agree.
    erpadmin wrote:
    IT Management isn't just people; it's other resources as well that can be "managed".

Many jobs (at least in NJ government) will shave off the number of years of actual management experience if you have a Masters degree.

Magic, the masters program you choose is going to depend on the requirements. Some of them may want work experience with your application. Others just want a GMAT score. You may need to do some homework in that regard, but an MS can never hurt...

It's been a long morning and a lot of what I'm writing today just doesn't make sense lol.
  • Options
    I agree.

It's been a long morning and a lot of what I'm writing today just doesn't make sense lol.

No harm, no foul man. It is a depressing lookin' Monday (at least 'round here).
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    The nice thing about WGU is being able to work and go to school, so you can continue to get experience going that route. Unless you have prior math (extensive calculus) I would avoid doing a MS EE as WGU's IT program is not math intensive. I've taken Calculus 2 and shudder at the thought of any EE program let alone a Masters.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Proof of education is never EVER! a negative thing. Getting a masters may be a negative in your bank account but in the job market its never a bad thing. icon_thumright.gif If you have the motivation for go for it!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I might just do it then. I'm making my 5 year goals and trying to decide what to do. I would love to be a EE but calculus scares the crap out of me. Really general IT bores me but I really want to do network engineering and/or management. If I finish me BS in only 3 terms I should be able to the MS in 3. Total cost will only be around $18,000. My sister spent over $100,000 on 2 BS's, 1 MS and part of a law degree.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    It sounds like you would be better served with a more traditional MBA. One of my coworkers is going for his MS-IT after getting a BS:IT from CTU and I am not convinced his masters coursework is actually teaching him anything.
  • Options
    It sounds like you would be better served with a more traditional MBA. One of my coworkers is going for his MS-IT after getting a BS:IT from CTU and I am not convinced his masters coursework is actually teaching him anything.

Personally, if I go the MBA route, it has to have an emphasis on IT Management. Can't just be the run-of-the-mill MBA for me...even if it's from Wharton or Harvard. (Because it has to be inline with my career path...I'm not looking to bankrupt multimillion dollar companies as a CEO...I would however be happy as a CIO. :D )
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    I would try to cement a job before going for your masters or at least while you are studying for it. Like others have said it will Definitely pay off down the road but you run the risk of being over qualified for jobs with a masters and no experience that you otherwise were perfect for in a company with just a bachelors And if you find a company that hires from within it will look great to upper management that one of there own now qualifies for a better posiion. You know "go getter" and all that nonsense.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I would wait till later. You're going to be paying for it for a while.....any theoretical magical additional income practically goes toward paying for it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would say wait. I am just starting my masters program. When you apply they will take into consideration your work history and even give you credit for work experience. Also, the more "Experience" you have will help make your masters studies more rewarding IMO.

As far as will a masters pay off? It can never hurt. I think having a Masters will definitely set you apart from the pack and put you a in a good position for some top management roles with the right experience.

I would say grab some experience, build your resume for a year or two. then start your masters program. By the time you finish you will have experience and a masters and be in great position to find a great job. Not to mention, maybe before you start your masters you will find someone to pay for it! They are expensive. the more you dont have to pay for the better!

Good luck!
  • Options
    I would say wait. I am just starting my masters program. When you apply they will take into consideration your work history and even give you credit for work experience. Also, the more "Experience" you have will help make your masters studies more rewarding IMO.

As far as will a masters pay off? It can never hurt. I think having a Masters will definitely set you apart from the pack and put you a in a good position for some top management roles with the right experience.

I would say grab some experience, build your resume for a year or two. then start your masters program. By the time you finish you will have experience and a masters and be in great position to find a great job. Not to mention, maybe before you start your masters you will find someone to pay for it! They are expensive. the more you dont have to pay for the better!

Good luck!

+1...you definitely earned your pimp cup with that one. icon_cool.gif That's actually very good advice.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With no real job prospects right now
    Are you expecting a Masters Degree to change that? Are you actively looking for a job? Or are you just looking to kill time until the day the IT/Tech job market rebounds (assuming it actually does)?

A lot of people do head on to a Masters degree to defer their student loans when they find out their undergraduate degree wasn't a magic ticket to a well paying and satisfying job.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    A lot of people do head on to a Masters degree to defer their student loans when they find out their undergraduate degree wasn't a magic ticket to a well paying and satisfying job.

They go by the name of "professor." :D
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    erpadmin wrote: »
    They go by the name of "professor." :D

Nah, the guys who go by "professor" are the ones who realized that the Master's degree wasn't enough, wasn't looked very highly upon in academia, and decided to stave off that whole "real world" thing for another few years. You know, guys like me who enjoy screwing around with technology a whole lot more than actual w**k. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Are you expecting a Masters Degree to change that? Are you actively looking for a job? Or are you just looking to kill time until the day the IT/Tech job market rebounds (assuming it actually does)?

This is the nail being hit straight on the head with the hammer. Unless you are picked out of CS or EE school by intel or one of the major companies, even with a college degree you start out at the bottom. I am sure everyone listened to countless idiot teachers saying "college degrees are the ticket to a good career". They weren't totally wrong, they just didn't know or understand skilled labor like IT, telecom, etc.

My lack of a bachelor's degree is holding me back from project management and IT management jobs and generally hurts me a bit professionally. That hasn't stopped me from making a crap ton of money at a young age with no college debt on the back of an associates degree and a pile of certs. I started at the bottom with everyone else and never expected anything different.
  • Options
    My lack of a bachelor's degree is holding me back from project management and IT management jobs and generally hurts me a bit professionally. That hasn't stopped me from making a crap ton of money at a young age with no college debt on the back of an associates degree and a pile of certs. I started at the bottom with everyone else and never expected anything different.

Ahhh...the glass ceiling. Guys like us can and will make $100k-$120k+ yearly without ever needing a degree.

Wait until you start getting tired of the crap that goes with your job though...then you'll want a degree so you could do different crap while still managing the original crap you were doing to begin with.

That degree just opens doors for guys like us because in the end...it's not just about the money anymore. Now I want the status to go with the money and it is difficult to do that without a BS. (Not impossible, I know it can be done and am always in such congratulatory awe of such feats--just extremely difficult.)
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I was making about 65-70k a year when I was 24-25. BUT I hurt my back and my prospects of going back to that kind of work are slim to none. Actually today I had another surgery and someone could call me a true geek now - I have 2 cat5 cables coming out of my back to a little box. But anyways, I'm not going to be able to work anywhere for the next 2 to 12 months. In that time I'm hoping to finish my degree and then probably start the MBA IT degree. I've worked for over 11 years now in various industries, done project management a tad, did military, etc. So I think I got the experience. Just trying to make the best of the time I have that I cant work. This is so when I can work again Ill be set to make 65-70k/year again. My ulitamate goal is when it comes to having a kid in a few years I want to be able to provide it everything I never had and be able to let me wife stay home.