College Programs in North Carolina

Da-RegulatorDa-Regulator Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm currently in the Army. In Iraq right now. I figured I would use this time to study for certs (CCNA, A+, N+) and figure out what school I'm going to go to when I get back. I'm a Commo guy, so I work with network stuff daily. Not to worried about testing on it. When I get out I'll have security clearance and 4 years experience and some certs. But I really want to get a degree to really stand out. Anyone have any idea what schools and degree programs in North Carolina is more outstanding than any others. I appreciate it.

Comments

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say for North Carolina both NC State's and UNC's Computer Science programs are recognized alot more than the other schools in NC.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Da-RegulatorDa-Regulator Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Appreciate it man.. but idk I have been looking in to WGU degrees like the IT - Security. I wanna know more about getting hired with the degree though.

Where you from in NC?
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I went to NC State and have a Batchelors in Computer Science. It's a pretty rigorous program and involves a lot of Programming, Science, and Math Courses and some electives thrown in. At NC State, it's in the College of Engineering. There's also a MIS Concentration in Business Management. At UNC, the Comp Sci major is in their Math College. If you have any specific questions drop me a PM and I can try to answer them. NC State's Comp Sci web site is NC State University: Welcome to the Department of Computer Science and there is a lot more information there on the Courses and Degree Requirements.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's always ECU. It's not as "prestigious" as State, but the classes are manageable and the ladies are exquisite!!!
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Appreciate it man.. but idk I have been looking in to WGU degrees like the IT - Security. I wanna know more about getting hired with the degree though.

Where you from in NC?
    I've lived all over NC, currently I'm living in the Raleigh-Durham Area.

Personally when it comes down to what I want to learn from college and not will this give me a better chance to get a job. I think a CS degree for me is focused too much on programming. Considering your interested in CCNA and Net+ you might feel the same way. I think that a degree from WGU in IT security or IT Networks Administration would be good for you.

ECU is also a nice school they have a BS in Information and Computer Technology, but I haven't heard anything about how good or bad it is.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in their Masters Program (pre-family) for a while, and found them a little easier that what I was expecting. I lost patience with the programs because it seemed like the classes got bogged down by people who's skill-set wasn't has high as you'd expect it should be.
  • myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    There's always ECU. It's not as "prestigious" as State, but the classes are manageable and the ladies are exquisite!!!

I couldn't agree with you more, I used to love to take the hour and halfish drive on the weekends to go the clubs over there.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree with you more, I used to love to take the hour and halfish drive on the weekends to go the clubs over there.

Eww. I won't even drive within 20 miles of Greenville without wearing a rubber.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    To the OP, if you're already pretty strong in networking already, I would either look for a degree that is more business-IT focused, or maybe go for a concentration in information security to complement your security clearance. Depends on what your preference. What i wouldn't do... is to get a degree to basically validate what you already validated by way of your experience and certs.

My $.02

- Blargoe
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    Eww. I won't even drive within 20 miles of Greenville without wearing a rubber.

Greenville the city is a **** and the regular residents are questionable, but the student chicks are probably the best in the state. I guess that's not saying much though. South Carolina girls are much much better. I think that's why they divided the state to decide who gets the hot ones. The four hour drive to Myrtle Beach is more of a better choice, but hey who wants to drive four hours.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    blargoe wrote: »
    What i wouldn't do... is to get a degree to basically validate what you already validated by way of your experience and certs.

My $.02

That's precisely why I'm getting a degree in IT...to exactly validate experience (not so much certs though but it does come with the package).

An MBA or MS in Management is a much better investment than a BS in Business. If all you need is sheepskin to either get past the HR firewalls or pursue a Masters in somethng (Business or otherwise), then yeah, it makes sense to get a degree to validate experience and certs.

FWIW.