Finally started!

cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
Hi all,

First off I would like to say howdy :D I have been reading the forum for a few days now and finally have the chance to post. I've seen a lot of great information on here already.

Well I have finally decided to get certified. My end goal will more than likely be in the security field, possiably with VOIP exp aswell. Currently working in the communicatoin electronics field as a technician with the Royal Australian Air Force.

Anyway i've decided to start with CCNA as we use Cisco quite heavily. I plan to follow this up with my CompTIA trifecta (A+, Net+ and Sec+). Im using the Cisco Press CCNA Official Certification Guide for my CCNA study, anyone found this usefull in the past? I find it easy to digest and it explains the basics very clearly. Alot of it is a refresh for me, however I thought it wise before undertaking the exam.

I also begin studies in a Masters Degree mid next year which will get me to CCNP and my C|EH as well. I have planned further ahead but i think for now this is enough to keep me busy.

Hopefully I will gain valuable information from here, as I know others have. This seems to be the place to be regarding IT Certs.

Glad to be on board icon_cheers.gif

Cheers for reading!

** cisco_nerd **

Comments

• AkiiiAkiii Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome here, and have fun :)
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TE! Its good to have you and good luck in your endeavors.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I would pass on the Net+ if you get the CCNA first but that's just my humble opinion. Good luck in your studies icon_exclaim.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to TechExams.net icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome! like another poster said here, if you get a CCNA you should not waste your time getting a Net+ cert. To be honest if you plan your career on Cisco, forget the comptia certs. Get your CCNA, go straight into CCNP or whatever professional level cert you are considering. Those 6 to 8 months you are going to use for study time on those comptia certs can be used to get a CCNP or more than half of any other professional level cert.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Welcome! like another poster said here, if you get a CCNA you should not waste your time getting a Net+ cert. To be honest if you plan your career on Cisco, forget the comptia certs. Get your CCNA, go straight into CCNP or whatever professional level cert you are considering. Those 6 to 8 months you are going to use for study time on those comptia certs can be used to get a CCNP or more than half of any other professional level cert.

Let me chip in here and say that it is rare for anyones first job to be in a pure cisco shop. If you have CCENT knowledge, you know 175% of what the Network+ has to teach. I took and passed my ICND1 exam, and a week later aced my Network+ without a bead of sweat.

Before you get talked out of not getting it: If you have the money and the knowledge for a industry certification, why not get it? In now way will it ever hurt you. If you are in a situation where you think it might, you don't have to list it. But you never know if it may come in handy some time. If you get a base of CompTIA certs, it shows a good foundation that you can build off of. For entry level jobs, companies will like to see that.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Let me chip in here and say that it is rare for anyones first job to be in a pure cisco shop. If you have CCENT knowledge, you know 175% of what the Network+ has to teach. I took and passed my ICND1 exam, and a week later aced my Network+ without a bead of sweat.

Before you get talked out of not getting it: If you have the money and the knowledge for a industry certification, why not get it? In now way will it ever hurt you. If you are in a situation where you think it might, you don't have to list it. But you never know if it may come in handy some time. If you get a base of CompTIA certs, it shows a good foundation that you can build off of. For entry level jobs, companies will like to see that.

+1 True story. I've gotten compliments for having both in interviews. At immediate glance on a resumé, its as if the candidate went from Net+ to CCENT which gives off the impression of going from vendor neutral to vendor specific (even if the reverse occurred; exception: if dates are listed). Even if you're not running multimode fiber optics on a daily basis, having some of that extra knowledge definitely can't hurt.
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Thanks all for the welcome.

As mentioned before I understand that the Net+ will more than likely have content already covered by a CCNA however I thought it wise to have the CompTIA base knowledge, and it may come in handy. Can't hurt at any rate.