Options

RAID 5 Windows 7

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
will RAID 5 work with Windows 7?
just watched cbt nuggets and he said it dont work but in the MS Press book it mentioned that it does work? whats right?

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Windows 7 doesn't natively support RAID 5 from a software perspective. Just RAID 1 and RAID 0.
  • Options
    TechnologETechnologE Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aklthough microsoft press book will incorrect say it does, it doesnt.
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechnologE wrote: »
    Aklthough microsoft press book will incorrect say it does, it doesnt.

whats the scope on the exam then if it wont work do I assume I wont need to know about this for the exam then? its got me confused
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    If you have a virtual environment attach 3 disks and attempt to RAID 5 them. If you somehow can then I would answer yes on the test, but since you can't (it's grayed out) the correct answer would be no. The MS press book is riddled with errors anyway. If in doubt, lab it and see.
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Assume that it wont work. I think there probably was a plan for RAID 5 support and thats why the option is there, but I have seen this talked about lots of times and yeah it doesnt work.

Besides you are unlikely going to be asked any questions like "does windows 7 support software RAID 5?" so don't worry about it. Its more important to know what RAID 0, 1, and 5 are as well as the difference between software and hardware RAID and the advantages/disadvantages.