Options

Would the MSCA be an overkill if you work on a NOC/PC help desk?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am trying to map out a future plan for next year. I am setting a goal to learn VB and Excel/Access 2010

But that is more in my free time (no certifications)

I am a tier 2 remote desk top tech and network analyst tier 2 at my company. I was wondering if you feel this would be an overkill.

I am taking A+ this thursday, I have essentials done and I have Network + done, so I have almost one of the electives out of the way.

Does this make any sense to get? I really want to learn about MS server OS's, but don't have a ton of experience with them right now other than Active Directory, Accounts, and few other responsibilities.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could it help you move up in your current situation? Do you want to work with servers more so than a Cisco technology? I think the NOC experience would be helpful if you go for a Cisco cert/job in the future. It may make sense to go with the MS certs if that is the direction you want to move in. I don't think the MCSA would be overkill by any means even if you have a little bit of exposure to servers.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Could it help you move up in your current situation? Do you want to work with servers more so than a Cisco technology? I think the NOC experience would be helpful if you go for a Cisco cert/job in the future. It may make sense to go with the MS certs if that is the direction you want to move in. I don't think the MCSA would be overkill by any means even if you have a little bit of exposure to servers.

Thanks for the reply Malachi

I was thinking that, but I wasn't sure. I haven't got into the material yet. I still have to pass A+ 702 tomorrow lol
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes and no.

Yes in that it is overkill for your current position. No in that some certifications you get for your current job, and others you get for your next job.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    N2IT wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Malachi

I was thinking that, but I wasn't sure. I haven't got into the material yet. I still have to pass A+ 702 tomorrow lol

Good luck!! I'm scheduling mine for next Friday to knock both out the way..
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am trying to map out a future plan for next year. I am setting a goal to learn VB and Excel/Access 2010

But that is more in my free time (no certifications)

I am a tier 2 remote desk top tech and network analyst tier 2 at my company. I was wondering if you feel this would be an overkill.

I am taking A+ this thursday, I have essentials done and I have Network + done, so I have almost one of the electives out of the way.

Does this make any sense to get? I really want to learn about MS server OS's, but don't have a ton of experience with them right now other than Active Directory, Accounts, and few other responsibilities.

The first thing you have to do is decide for yourself what you are aiming for. Ten years ago my goal was to be a Network Architect. That's what I am today and with that goal in mind everything else fell into place to get there. Certification was only part of that process. The main thing was to work out what sort of experience was required and then to do whatever was necessary to obtain that experience in the field. A lot of people look for certifications as levers into work they want to do and it can be useful in that sense but not having a certification should not prevent you from seeking and obtaining the kind of work you need to do. I think a lot of people become enslaved to the certification tracks which only holds them back. Im not sure the VB/Access thing is really helping you with your aspirations but then Im not entirely clear what they are. Apply for the sort of work you want to do, your certification needs should become clear then.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started as a level 1 tech with my MCSA and finished up my MCSE with some self-study and then got promoted to level 2.
    I have been in the IT field for just over 3 years now, transferred from medical side of things. I think it depends on how the economy is in your area, your level of experience and time in the field, and how comfortable you are in moving up.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    The first thing you have to do is decide for yourself what you are aiming for. Ten years ago my goal was to be a Network Architect. That's what I am today and with that goal in mind everything else fell into place to get there. Certification was only part of that process. The main thing was to work out what sort of experience was required and then to do whatever was necessary to obtain that experience in the field. A lot of people look for certifications as levers into work they want to do and it can be useful in that sense but not having a certification should not prevent you from seeking and obtaining the kind of work you need to do. I think a lot of people become enslaved to the certification tracks which only holds them back. Im not sure the VB/Access thing is really helping you with your aspirations but then Im not entirely clear what they are. Apply for the sort of work you want to do, your certification needs should become clear then.

I actually enjoy working with Excel and Access and hope to be able to support and create reports, charts, spreadsheets at a high level solving business needs.

I would also like to learn more about servers on the OS side of things. How they interface with other configuration items and how everything ties in together on more than just a topographical view. I also want to learn the OS system from a functional and technical standpoint.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think it is overkill at all. If you get the MCSA while working at a helpdesk you are showing that you are driven and want to know more. Quite a bit of helpdesk/desktop support jobs in this area are requiring M$ certs so in my opinion it makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually enjoy working with Excel and Access and hope to be able to support and create reports, charts, spreadsheets at a high level solving business needs.

I would also like to learn more about servers on the OS side of things. How they interface with other configuration items and how everything ties in together on more than just a topographical view. I also want to learn the OS system from a functional and technical standpoint.

Then it seems to me you are either moving in the direction of service management, or tools team or server admin or systems designer. Various choices there.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    MCSA isn't overkill for anything. The more you know about IT systems the better. So long as you have the time.
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    MCSA isn't overkill for anything. The more you know about IT systems the better. So long as you have the time.

I am wondering how much time will have to be spent on the two server certs and 270?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dont do the 70-270, go for the 70-620 (Vista) exam. Easier and counts towards the MCITP : EA. If you put in a couple of hours each day and few every weekend, you should have it all done in about 4 months maybe. I cant say for sure, depends on how much of it you use at work and how much you retain. A few too many variables, but doable in about 4 months.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Dont do the 70-270, go for the 70-620 (Vista) exam. Easier and counts towards the MCITP : EA. If you put in a couple of hours each day and few every weekend, you should have it all done in about 4 months maybe. I cant say for sure, depends on how much of it you use at work and how much you retain. A few too many variables, but doable in about 4 months.

Thanks for the great information. That goes to everybody.

I am taking A+ today so that with N+ should take out one of the electives. Then I'll just have 290 291 and whatever elective. Can Windows 7 replace 270 also?
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Thanks for the great information. That goes to everybody.

I am taking A+ today so that with N+ should take out one of the electives. Then I'll just have 290 291 and whatever elective. Can Windows 7 replace 270 also?

Yes it can.

Systems Administrator| MCSA | Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
  • Options