Options

EIGRP and static-default route question

OrvarOrvar Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All.

I was playing around with eigrp options but couldnt figure out how to distribute default route.

So RIP has R1(config-router)#redistribute static

and OSPF has R1(config-router)#default-information originate

EIGRP has an 'default-information' option alright but not the 'originate' option, only 'allowed', 'in' and 'out' :

R1(config-router)#default-information out ?
<1-99> A standard IP access list number
<1300-1999> A standard expanded IP access list number
WORD Standard Access-list name

Could anyone offer tips on how to set this?

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    either create a static route and redistribute it, use the ip default-network command, or use the ip summary-address command.
  • Options
    I think you've misunderstood the question, I already have a static route on R1, 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.50.250 (internet router) and I'm asking for a way to redistribute it in EIGRP to the rest of the local AS in the same way you redistribute default route in OSPF with the 'default-information originate' command or RIP with the 'redistribute static' command.

I'm not looking to summarise route
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Actually shooting a summary out in eigrp is a common way to distribute a default route out to your AS...but had 2 other options for you as well.
  • Options
    Oh right. I didn't realise that. Just sounded so manual somehow. I found another one which is 'redistribute connected' would that be more efficient?
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Orvar wrote: »
    Oh right. I didn't realise that. Just sounded so manual somehow. I found another one which is 'redistribute connected' would that be more efficient?

For redisting a default, no. Take a look at these
    Configuring a Gateway of Last Resort Using IP Commands - Cisco Systems

That will give you the information on the ip default-network command

or go under your interface
    int type/num
    ip summary-address eigrp [as] 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

or the static route way

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [next hop]
    router eigrp [as]
    redist static [metric x x x x x ]
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503

One simple reason for that not being, the default route is not describing a connected interface. "Redistribute static" is what you'd want. You could then use route maps/prefix lists/distribute lists with this to ensure only the default route would be sent out (eg, you had other static routes built already)
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I think you've misunderstood the question, I already have a static route on R1, 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.50.250 (internet router) and I'm asking for a way to redistribute it in EIGRP to the rest of the local AS in the same way you redistribute default route in OSPF with the 'default-information originate' command or RIP with the 'redistribute static' command.

I'm not looking to summarise route

I understood your question quite well. You didn't understand my answer! ;)

There is no default-information originate command in EIGRP. You figured that out for yourself when you noticed with the inline help that there was no originate command.

I gave you the three common ways to originate a default route in EIGRP. I would suggest you hone your Google-fu skills in order to follow up on them.
  • Options

or the static route way

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [next hop]
    router eigrp [as]
    redist static [metric x x x x x ]

That's the basically the command I was looking for. It didn't even occur to me to use 'redistribute static' , I guess I was always looking for something more OSPF sounding, like 'default-information originate' or something like that.

When they said EIGRP is supposed to be simpler to configure they really meant it :)

Thanks guys for your help!