Options

Anyone from Chicago know any good Staffing firms / companies hiring

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello there,

Its been awhile since I posted on here. I am from the suburbs of Chicago and wanted to know if anyone on this forum is from that chicago or the suburbs that knows of any good staffing firms / companies that are hiring. Even part time at night.

I currently have my Bachelors in Technical Management and wanted to get my foot in the door. I know I would probably end up with a Help Desk.
My situation is that I currently work for a Collection agency doing collections / call center and make about 32k Ive been doing this..for about 4 years now, so I guess that would help me as well to get my foot in the door.

Can anyone provide me some good advice? I actually had two or three companies call me to do a contract to hire help desk..I wanted to take it so bad, but in this recession and economy were going through, I don't know if I could take that risk, when My wife is unemployed and have a 6 yr old son. What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    bytenbyten Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Robert Half Technology has 3 locations in IL. Did you try posting on monster, and career builder? Your bachelors is in technical management. For you another good certification would be PMP. At my old job, we had IT project managers that were PMPs. They make good money and they need to have a good understanding of network architecture and application technologies as well as processes and security guidance and laws related to the industry.

Certifications: CEH, Security+, Network+
    Certification Goals CISSP

"The first principle is that you cannot fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." -- Richard P. Feynman
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    byten wrote: »
    Robert Half Technology has 3 locations in IL. Did you try posting on monster, and career builder? Your bachelors is in technical management. For you another good certification would be PMP. At my old job, we had IT project managers that were PMPs. They make good money and they need to have a good understanding of network architecture and application technologies as well as processes and security guidance and laws related to the industry.

But you don't jump from doing his present job to a PMP. You've got to have experience doing something, and then years of experience leading or participating in related projects, in order to qualify to even sit for that credential.

The other advice is good. I've got my resume on monster / careerbuilder / etc. and get calls and emails every other day about real job leads. I'm in a different market however and have some industry experience already.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your call center experience is good to parlay that into help desk. Though given your current profession, you would do well to show that compassion is in your vocabulary (and not just a word you may have read in the dictionary).

Your potential bosses and/or their family members may have been "debtors" who had problems paying bills. You may have to stretch the truth a bit in that you were not that JO that was being rude to "debtors" over the phone when calling them to get a debt (or when they were calling you to settle a debt).

Make sure your "soft skills" is something you focus on in your resume. You had to do what you had to do those 4 years to get the job done, but those tactics are neither tolerated or wanted in a corporate help desk. Yes, folks want the job done, but they do not want to hire a jerk either. I'm not saying you are one...but I (as well as the potential people who will interview) are under no illusions that you are unfamiliar with the rudeness that many of your ilk may have displayed to those who might have needed to contact your company. Again though, I'm not trying to stereotype you, personally, but you do want to be prepared for misgivings folks may have about hiring someone from your industry.

(As an aside...both FCDPA and FCRA are in my vocabulary...long story short, I got paid and got my credit cleaned up to the point I now have great credit. :D )
  • Options
    ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    I highly suggest looking at craigslist under technical support & systems /network.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    Zaits wrote: »
    I highly suggest looking at craigslist under technical support & systems /network.

From what I've seen of those jobs though they generally don't pay that well. The best industry I've personally seen for job stability and pay for entry level positions (i.e., computer operations or help desk) is the healthcare field. I'd suggest looking up all the healthcare providers in your area and seeing what they're hiring for. Also, if you know anybody working for a healthcare provider, hit them up for a possible reference.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM