Project+ in a week and a half

Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I'm wanting to get as many of my entry level certs out of the way before i start WGU on Febuary 1st. Which mean I have to have everything done by January 22nd-23rd. Right now I have the Security+ on the 20th the A+ on the 27th or 28th. and I want to have the Project+ done on or before the 7th of January so I can focus on my Windows 7 exam.

With that being said I will be off from work from the 23rd to the 3rd of January so I'll have plenty of time right after Christmas to study. That will really help I'm sure.

So I want to get feed back from the forums as to how possible this is. I have not had any project management experience so that worries me a bit.

All your feedback will be greatly appreciate.
Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

On the list for January 2011
Project+ and CIW Foundations.

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It depends on you. How you study, the time you have, and how you remember things. These are big factors on if you can get it done in the time frame that you want.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At BARE minimum I would give it 2 weeks (preferably 3 weeks to a month), assuming you have no past PM experience.

Read a chapter a day, go over the answers at the end of the chapter and get to know it. After 9-10 days, the book is finished. At this point, grab a ucertify (or other supplementary testing material) and go through all the material on that for the next 3-5 days. Get to know it well, don't just "do quizzes". Pass.

I did mine in 3 weeks I believe? Something like that.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From 11/27/2010 through 12/10/2010 = me passing. The writeup I did for this exam should be a good blueprint for you or anyone else that wants to pass it, but keep in mind that it depends on how you absorb the material and how familiar you are with the PM methodology discussed. As Josh suggested, uCertify and the Sybek PK0-003 will be enough for a pass (that's all WGU will care about...the pass on your CompTIA transcript).

It's doable. Best of luck!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took the 2003 version and failed. I'll eventually take it again.

Just follow the advice of the guys who do have the certification and you should have no problem at all.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I took the 2003 version and failed. I'll eventually take it again.

Just follow the advice of the guys who do have the certification and you should have no problem at all.

Why 2003 out of curiosity? It's more difficult I hear. Not to mention it's about to retire.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
    Why 2003 out of curiosity? It's more difficult I hear. Not to mention it's about to retire.

Yeah really...that low cut score I think is misleading. PK0-003, IMO is NOT harder than PK0-002.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

It's the one I tried at the time. I will try the newer one once I get some time.

I am exploring other certifications and technologies at the moment.
  • Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess the way I look at it I passed the security + with only studying for maybe 10 days. It wasn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure I could pass this in a short amount of time. I just want to get it out of the way before I start classes in Febuary.
    Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

Krusty_47 wrote: »
    I guess the way I look at it I passed the security + with only studying for maybe 10 days. It wasn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure I could pass this in a short amount of time. I just want to get it out of the way before I start classes in Febuary.

I'm sure you are going to, but just a reminder that your Project+ must be PK0-003 if you are going to use it to transfer in WGU. They won't take PK0-002 if you could have gotten the PK0-003. (They will look at the date.... :) ). Aside from that though, best of luck....remember, coffee is your friend. :D
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'm sure you are going to, but just a reminder that your Project+ must be PK0-003 if you are going to use it to transfer in WGU. They won't take PK0-002 if you could have gotten the PK0-003. (They will look at the date.... :) ). Aside from that though, best of luck....remember, coffee is your friend. :D

Ok so my A+ recertification is done and now I'm on to Project+ and CIW foundations before the 20th of January. I'm sure I'll be able to do it. I will probably take the Project + on the 17th and the CIW on the 21st. That will knock off 9 CU's from WGU so I'm hoping I can get everything done ASAP.

Thank You for letting me know which one I needed to take before I goofed and too the 002. I will get these exams out of the way shortly. Is the CIW lifetime or do I have to renew it?
    Goals for 2011.

Ok so my A+ recertification is done and now I'm on to Project+ and CIW foundations before the 20th of January. I'm sure I'll be able to do it. I will probably take the Project + on the 17th and the CIW on the 21st. That will knock off 9 CU's from WGU so I'm hoping I can get everything done ASAP.

Thank You for letting me know which one I needed to take before I goofed and too the 002. I will get these exams out of the way shortly. Is the CIW lifetime or do I have to renew it?

Ummm....as far as I know CIW is lifetime...but it's not exactly a cert that will have recruiters and HR knocking down your door.....

AFAIK, the only reason why CIW certs are even discussed here (as opposed to other boards) is because they're required for WGU, with the exception of one gentleman from the Service that needed to take something that would satisfy a DoD requirement and the CIW Associates actually fit the bill. That was a while ago though.

Are you going for the NDM emphasis, just out of curiousity? Some emphasi have removed WFV1 (CIW Associates) as a requirement. NDM didn't though.
    Yes I'm going for the ndm. I'll be getting my cisco certs too. Just don't have the money for the lab. As for what doesn't require it anymore I'm not sure. I'll have to look that when I'm actually at home.
    Goals for 2011.

Yes I'm going for the ndm. I'll be getting my cisco certs too. Just don't have the money for the lab. As for what doesn't require it anymore I'm not sure. I'll have to look that when I'm actually at home.

If you're going for NDM, then yes, you will need the CIW Associates cert for WFV1. It is arguably the easiest cert available in IT for someone with experience and/or the CompTIA trinity (plus Project+...and that's a tiny bit of that).

If you're gunning for Cisco, you may want to do that before OR after WGU. I don't recommend during, but that's just me. You'll have enough to worry about with the MCITP:EA anyway.
    If you're going for NDM, then yes, you will need the CIW Associates cert for WFV1. It is arguably the easiest cert available in IT for someone with experience and/or the CompTIA trinity (plus Project+...and that's a tiny bit of that).

If you're gunning for Cisco, you may want to do that before OR after WGU. I don't recommend during, but that's just me. You'll have enough to worry about with the MCITP:EA anyway.

Very true on that. I've already been through the Cisco academy back in '02 '03. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure that's the way I'm going to want to go long term. I also loved the Security+ material so I want to go that way. I feel as though not having a track that can support both the Cisco and Microsoft security sides of things is kind of disappointing.

I plan on taking the MS for information security and assurance after I get my CCNA and CCNA:S. I will probably go after my CCNP and CCSP after that. At some point I do plan on getting my CCIE but that's a long way off.
    Goals for 2011.

Very true on that. I've already been through the Cisco academy back in '02 '03. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure that's the way I'm going to want to go long term. I also loved the Security+ material so I want to go that way. I feel as though not having a track that can support both the Cisco and Microsoft security sides of things is kind of disappointing.

I plan on taking the MS for information security and assurance after I get my CCNA and CCNA:S. I will probably go after my CCNP and CCSP after that. At some point I do plan on getting my CCIE but that's a long way off.

For better or worse, I didn't have to continue the Cisco path after 2000. I only needed to focus on client and server O/Ses (and then later PeopleSoft). Eventually, I may pursue Cisco, but not because I need it on my resume (and really, I don't). I want it to actually (re)learn Cisco for my own education and have it as a hobby, much like how I started with IT before it became a "job and then later a career."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I was personally fine with the path I chose (database administration, as it's needed for any ERP like PeopleSoft.) Many (not all) good IT shops are going to segment the Cisco and O/S sides of the house. It's typically smaller shops that will want you to know everything and that has it's own pluses and minuses.
    For better or worse, I didn't have to continue the Cisco path after 2000. I only needed to focus on client and server O/Ses (and then later PeopleSoft). Eventually, I may pursue Cisco, but not because I need it on my resume (and really, I don't). I want it to actually (re)learn Cisco for my own education and have it as a hobby, much like how I started with IT before it became a "job and then later a career."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I was personally fine with the path I chose (database administration, as it's needed for any ERP like PeopleSoft.) Many (not all) good IT shops are going to segment the Cisco and O/S sides of the house. It's typically smaller shops that will want you to know everything and that has it's own pluses and minuses.

My passion really resides in network architecture. My long term goal is to design and implement network infrastructures. It's just a matter of getting the knowledge and experience I need to do it in the real world.

With that being said I'm not sure where I will end up but I do have a plan.
    Goals for 2011.

With that being said I'm not sure where I will end up but I do have a plan.

That's all you need, my friend. Best of luck in your goals!
    ok so after slacking off for 2 weeks after finishing off my CompTIA triad I started studying project+. All I have to say is...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This stuff is so boring. I'm sure there is a way to make this stuff so much more entertaining. Where is Darril when you really need him. Hopefully I can struggle through this book by the end of the week, watch the videos on Saturday, and then review all the questions in the book and transcender on Sunday so I'm ready for my exam on Monday morning.
    Goals for 2011.

I'm sure there is a way to make this stuff so much more entertaining.

Hey, I mentioned Text-To-Speech on Kindle...I always chuckled when the female voice said "Double-U-B-S [WBS]" and "Stay-ke-holder" [stakeholder]. Otherwise, I'd still be reading this book and not be Project+ certified (not really...but you know what I mean).