Options

RHCE Pricing (cheaper to fly around the world than do it in Australia!)

nudenurdnudenurd Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
As an Australian wanting to get an RHCE, I was a bit shocked to see the pricing compared to other countries.

Red Hat Asia Pacific | Training

I've done the maths and if I was to fly to Hong Kong, stay in a decent hotel for a week, do the course there and then fly back to Australia, I would save over $1000!

Is there a difference between certificates? Any particular reason I should spend the extra money and do it here?

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Very interesting, I'd like to know myself, especially whether or not the course is in English. I've seen training costs vary by region for other vendors (e.g. VMware), but the pricing disparity wasn't as much as this Red Hat training.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    I'm doing the maths for South Korea now which is looking to be cheaper. I mean, you can get return flights for around $500 and decent places to stay for $30-$40 per night. The course works out to be $1228 compared to $3250 in AU...

Since this is MY money, I'm seriously considering these options. I've emailed RedHat and asked them what the difference is and whether the international ones are in English. I'd imagine the test would have to be...
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The cheapest training is Taiwan, TWD 29K is USD 972 or AUD 982. I dunno about hotel or flights, though, and it's not even listed if you click Enroll Now.

If the course and exam are in English, I might actually do this; I visit mainland China semi-regularly anyway, so I could combine a week of training in South Korea with one of my trips (or if I can convince my employer to pay USD 2000, I'll just take it in mainland China).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends if its a training partner - or a Red Hat office. The new RHEL6 books are pretty empty and you have to take a lot of notes in the classes. It would be extremely helpful to have the best instructor you can get. I never took that class but I've heard that they really cram a lot in those 4 days.

Is linux a big thing in corporate Australia? Is it more prevalent in certain cities? I spent 2 weeks down there and really enjoyed it.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    I had a response from my contact at RedHat training and she recommended I go overseas and do it there. Same course, same certificate and all in English unless stated otherwise.

She doesn't even know why the price differences are so much....