Options

My dilemma with the MCSA

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I decided to go with 680 for the client exam. I have A+ and N+

So what I need to do is get ramped up for 290 and 291.

What would be the cheapest way to get a copy of server 2003 or multiple copies. I installed MS VM machine and VMWares so I have two solutions for virtualizing, but actually getting the OS is the problem.

Any recommendations. At the moment I am going to focus on 680 after the holidays, but I wanted to create a mind map of how I am going to handle the other exams (290, 291).

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The trials should be long enough for labbing purposes. TechNet might be something to look into if you want to use a variety of MS software. 290 is a great introductory exam and probably won't be too terrible if you put some time into it. 291 is the exam you should really worry about because that one is a toughy.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    The trials should be long enough for labbing purposes. TechNet might be something to look into if you want to use a variety of MS software. 290 is a great introductory exam and probably won't be too terrible if you put some time into it. 291 is the exam you should really worry about because that one is a toughy.

How much is Technet going for now a days?

I am assuming you can pull the server OS from Microsoft website. 2003 server I mean
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    How much is Technet going for now a days?

I am assuming you can pull the server OS from Microsoft website. 2003 server I mean

It depends on which one you decide to go with. Here is the link so that you can look into it.

TechNet Subscriptions: TechNet subscribers get TechNet downloads and product keys, support, and more | Subscribe to TechNet Subscriptions

Also, if you plan on purchasing the books they come with a free trial of 2003. I may be wrong but I believe it is a 120 day trial. If you have a student email address you may qualify for DreamSpark which I've linked to below. There is a pretty good amount of software on there too.

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

Luckily I have several copies of server from my MSDN subscription. If I didn't, I would certainly use the trial copies. I think it's a 90 day license which is more than enough to prepare for an exam.

I found the CBT's good for these exams too. Watching James go through stuff really helps fill in that experience gap and gives you something to try on your own.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The 2003 trial is available here:
    Installing Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard or Enterprise Edition with SP2 (32-bit x86)

I don't think DreamSpark includes 2003; it does include 2008, though, and other useful software.

TechNet Pro is regularly $350 for new subscriptions and $250 to renew, though there are usually discount codes available (typically 25%, but I can't seem to find a valid one right now). It might be worth asking your employer to buy one for you since $350 is cheap for a business. Also, some Microsoft Software Assurance levels include a TechNet subscription, so if your employer has an SA agreement chances are they don't even know about this benefit and could assign it to you.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 on checking to see if your employer has it. A lot of them have it and don't even know it.
    Dreamspark has Server 2003.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does your 291 book have the 180-day evaluation CD? I have an older version of the book that I used for labbing.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Does your 291 book have the 180-day evaluation CD? I have an older version of the book that I used for labbing.

If not, go find one that does. You can probably find one for $30 which isn't too bad.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Luckily I have several copies of server from my MSDN subscription. If I didn't, I would certainly use the trial copies. I think it's a 90 day license which is more than enough to prepare for an exam.

I found the CBT's good for these exams too. Watching James go through stuff really helps fill in that experience gap and gives you something to try on your own.

Bane which CBT are you referring to?
  • Options
    It depends on which one you decide to go with. Here is the link so that you can look into it.

TechNet Subscriptions: TechNet subscribers get TechNet downloads and product keys, support, and more | Subscribe to TechNet Subscriptions

Also, if you plan on purchasing the books they come with a free trial of 2003. I may be wrong but I believe it is a 120 day trial. If you have a student email address you may qualify for DreamSpark which I've linked to below. There is a pretty good amount of software on there too.

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

Malachi

I see you wrote 291 is a beast how was 290? If you lab with the trial of 2003 and use the press book and/or CBT's?
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Malachi

I see you wrote 291 is a beast how was 290? If you lab with the trial of 2003 and use the press book and/or CBT's?

Were you drunken_smilie.gif when you posted this? Haha, If I understand your question correctly then I used the CBT Nuggets and the MS Press book for 70-290/291. 290 was definitely the lesser of two evils and is probably stuff that you work with pretty consistently. When I took this exam I was doing desktop support/sys admin work. Mostly desktop support work and I encountered a couple of the things that were on the 290 test while at work. Sorry for taking so long to reply to this.. hope this info helps!