Options

Thoughts on the exam

Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
Passed yesterday, some thoughts from the exam for anyone taking it soon:

1) Make sure you understand the various uses and scenarios in which protocol analyzers are utilized. I had at least 7 questions, possibly more, that involved this in some way. May have just been the luck of the question draw, so your mileage may vary.

2.) Take your time in understanding PKI. I had multiple questions that required you to understand which key was being utilized at what point in the process. These are easy points if you're familiar with it, but it can be confusing at first (at least it was for me).

3.) Be able to identify which algorithms are symmetric vs. asymmetric.

Most of this has been said before, but I wanted to confirm what others have said. I used the CompTIA book that WGU provides along with Darril's book to prepare. Darril's book was great for the foundational knowledge, but the CompTIA book had specifcs that Darril's book doesn't cover, along with labs that help apply the knowledge that you've learned. While you could use either one and pass the exam (both covered the objectives), Darril's book is an easier read.

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats, You Excellency! Well done. icon_thumright.gif

Many (myself included) had stated how helpful the ILT book was in attempting to pass the Security+ exam, so no need to rehash that here...

Would you care to share your score at least? It may help if others want to at least glance at the ILT book CompTIA provides.

Whether you do or don't though...congrats all the same and welcome to the club!
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Would you care to share your score at least? It may help if others want to at least glance at the ILT book CompTIA provides.

870. I will admit to wanting to beat your score, just by a little bit, but alas, it was not meant to be. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    870. I will admit to wanting to beat your score, just by a little bit, but alas, it was not meant to be. icon_wink.gif

LOL! Wow...I am curious what I did to deserve that honor...icon_lol.gif.

You know what though, you should have a better shot with Project+. One thing I did on that exam was rush through it. I really thought I was going to get 800 at least.....

That exam (plus the tips I gave) should give you a better shot of beating my score [in addition to spending more than 10 days on the PK0-003 guide and in your case using CertBlaster (I did not use it)], if that's Your Excellency's motivation.

Of course, at the end of the day....it doesn't matter a hill of beans, but hey whatever works. icon_cool.gif

Congratulations once again!
  • Options
    You know I'm kidding with ya, man. The only reason I knew your score is because you linked your passing post in a thread recently that I happened to read. When I saw my pass screen and the score, I immediately thought: hey that's just what he got! Got to love it.

The fact is, I drove over 90 miles yesterday on quarter inch ice to take that exam, and the ONLY thing I gave a rat's arse about at the time was getting home alive. The only reason I left the house is because I didn't want to deal with the automatic fail. I don't know if they have an inclement weather policy for the exam sites, but I was scheduled 15 minutes after the site opened. Had I waited to find out when it opened, I would not have had time to make it there.

Anyway, I'm glad it's over. After the test I spent 3 hours at the clinic and having blood taken, followed by completing LET1 tasks 1 and 2, so while it was productive, I'm glad it's done. I'm shooting for LET1, MGC1, ORC1, and Project+ / 70-680 by the end of February. Should be doable, but we shall see.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing Excellent1 !
    One thing about tthe ILT book WGU provides, and I've stated this elsewhere before, is that it is WORD FOR WORD the skillsoft course for Sec+. If you're gonna use the ILT book and you're a more visual learner then check out the Skillsoft module for that class.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Congrats on passing Excellent1 !
    One thing about tthe ILT book WGU provides, and I've stated this elsewhere before, is that it is WORD FOR WORD the skillsoft course for Sec+. If you're gonna use the ILT book and you're a more visual learner then check out the Skillsoft module for that class.

Thanks man. And I agree about Skillsoft--I've used some of the material such as practice exams and the like, but I avoid videos. For me, a book in hand and a lab to apply it with are where I do best, but everyone is different. It is nice that WGU provides so many resources for most courses, though. Definitely gives several paths to get where you're trying to go.