Options

Resume

DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can I get some help or some ideas on my resume? Thanks in advanced..

Comments

• Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Remove "Technician" after certifications. (just my opinion)

Add in what type of software you are familiar with (Microsoft XP, Vista, Windows 7, Office, other common applications you are familiar with)

Expand on your section of "lab experience" basically I would really try to pull out of the skills you learned when you studied for your certifications. If you just studied the "book" I would encourage you to setup networks, play with security tools, etc on your own then talk about those skills in your resume.

This does a few things, it allows you to develop skills "hands on" (as much as you can on your own), but labs also really impress hiring peps....and adds a talking point to someone saying your experience is low. Check out Insecure.Org - Nmap Free Security Scanner, Tools & Hacking resources for Security tools.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alright thanks for the help man ill make sure i start using some of these softwares and try and have a lab
  • Options
    sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
    Talk bigger, imo.

For example

"Built Desktops and installed O/S to work functionally" could be

"Experience building, installing, and configuring computer hardware and operating systems" then follow up with

"Ability to fully install and configure the following operating systems:
    windows xp, bla bl bla"

You worked on computer in a lab - you installed hardware, installed software, configured the settings, etc. let them know that. You never know who is going to read your resume - it may be Betty the HR assistant, and while a tech. may know what is involved in building computers, Betty doesn't, so try giving Betty a reason to call you.

Think about what you took on the Net+ and A+ exams, if you feel you have the knowledge, but it under qualifications!

For example, since you took the net+

"Proven knowledge of subnetting"

"Thorough understanding of basic network topology"

Also,

" Assisted fellow employees with problems that may have occurred whether it be wrong entry of data or invalid totes"

could be

"Reviewed and assisted in correcting incorrect data entries" and I'm not sure what invalid totes means, so I'll leave that alone.

If you've ever noticed in job postings, the "want ad" uses a lot of terms like "configuring" and "installing" - I know even some IT Managers/HR managers use the search function to look for certain terms - I kind of think this is a bit pompous myself but whatever.

Wording is very important in a resume - you may feel like you're exaggerating but you most definitely are not. Speak with ambition - a lot of time we don't realize how much we know or we do, but think about it: if you paid attention in class and feel like you have a good amount of knowledge to pass the Net+/thoroughly understand its content, why not tell a potential employer about it? Don't be vague. :C