Options

Crossroads

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I am sticking with IT and want to continue onto a security related job. I have just about 3 years of IT Support (done it longer than that, but have been earning a paycheck doing it for the past 3 years). The issue I am running into now is whether I should finish the CCNA and start looking at probably Microsoft based certs (or Linux) or start concentrating on the tools of the trade for security (Nmap, Wireshark, Metasploit, and the like) plus some programming? From there I would probably then jump in security related certs. I am only one test away from the CCNA, but I question just finishing it instead of using that time to work on programming and tools. Thanks in advance!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would definitley recommend finishing the CCNA, It helps to know Cisco/networking in security, just like MCSA/MCSE would help in windows for security, and linux+ or LPIC, RHCT, RHCSA, etc.. to know how to configure and set it up before you know what a bad set up looks like i guess, or before you know where are the holes to exploit etc.
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    That is the main problem with the security field right now. People wanting to jump right in without understanding the basics that you learn from the lower tier certifications. That's why I like the path you are on, I did something very similiar, I got A+, Net+, Sec+, then went for CCNA, then CISSP. I wanted to understand networking, before I delved into the CISSP and it helped me immensely as I think I nailed any networking related questions on the CISSP.

In retrospect though as I study for CCNA Security, I probably should have sat for that exam prior to the CISSP, as CCNA Security is chock full of stuff needed to develop a sound fundamental in the security field.

Hope this helps! Good luck in your studies.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Your right, have to build that solid foundation first.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    From what I have seen the certifications and skills that you should go after greatly depend on the type of job you want in security. There are many flavors of roles, so I would suggest looking on monster dot com and finding a few ideal jobs and see what skills they require.

For certifications most places like Security certifications (CEH, CISSP, Various GIAC) + Technical certifications (CCNA/CCNP, MCITP, Linux+, etc)

I would keep going for both technical and security certs and continue to play with the security tools (Nessus, Metasploit, Snort, Nmap, etc you get the idea)
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, finish your CCNA for sure. That's the first cert we made all the security analysts at my previous job acquire. Some whined about it, and wanted to do something flashier and more exciting, but as stated, it's absolutely paramount to build a foundation.

William, I did my CCNA: Security after the CISSP as well. I felt like Cisco borrowed a respectable amount of material from the CISSP. Regardless of which one you start with, the overlap will make working on the subsequent one easier.

Grinch, I'm more concerned about why you've spent three years doing support. You've always come across as competent in your posts, so it really surprises me that you've settled for so long. You're probably going to need another 2-3 in a more advanced role before you can move on to security full-time (unless you catch a break, which is possible but rather unlikely). I think you're plan of action should be to finish your CCNA and then pursue the ASAP specialization of a finding a new job where you can grow.

The most important thing is that you keep focused on your end goal and see it through. It took me about six years to land a position as a security analyst. In retrospect, I certainly could have expedited that, but it would have required making some difficult decisions at the time. I know how discouraging it can be to work towards something for so long and make seemingly little progress. However, if you keep gradually improving, one day you're going to be truly amazed at how much you've learned, and it's going to be completely worth it.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Yes, finish your CCNA for sure.

You're probably going to need another 2-3 in a more advanced role before you can move on to security full-time (unless you catch a break, which is possible but rather unlikely). I think you're plan of action should be to finish your CCNA and then pursue the ASAP specialization of a finding a new job where you can grow.

I agree with this 100%. I think IT is a bit cert crazy atm. However many infosec jobs I have seen want knowledge over certifications and ask for a few big certs (CISSP, SANS etc). Many people will say that getting a few MS certs and (possibly) linux certs will be good for you as well. What type of security do you see yourself doing?
  • Options
    Being in support for three years is really a combination of things. First, with my college bills coming in I took the first job/jobs that came in. Second, it looked like I had a shot at two different security related positions, but they didn't pan out (one they decided to keep the position as a coop position instead of converting it to a fulltime spot and the other there were several mitigating factors that stopped it from happening). Finally and I believe this is the biggest reason, is the fact that I don't know if I qualify for a lot of jobs. I look at what I do everyday (I work for a managed service provider so I touch a lot of different technology) and find that I don't focus on any one thing. I do server work, user account creation, all types of hardware/software support, web filter work, and backup related tasks. The problem is I feel like I am a jack of all trades, but the master of none.

I am looking into penetration testing. I have a plan in my head on how to go about doing it, but it is definitely going to take some time. I was hoping to work on getting my Master's degree, but I don't believe that will be happening anytime soon. Thanks again guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff