Options

70-680 - Failed

excalibur1814excalibur1814 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
icon_sad.gif

Third time now! It's the first exam I'm trying to pass after a long break but I'll crack it next time. How long do I have to wait before I can sit this again?

100% - Install, Upgrade, migrate Win 7
65% - Deploying Win7
50% - Config Hardware and applications
100% - Config network Connectivity
90% - Config Acces to resources
30% - Config mobile computing
100% - Monitoring and Maintain Win7
100% - Config Backup and Recovery options

For now I'm jumping straight to the 686/685 and then back to this one.

Why did I fail? I did no revision for this resit and once back home, I realised a few silly mistakes. I must read the sections of the book again as above. I'm only using the MS press book and actually thought that I'd fly through this one based on my other certs.

Again, I should never 'assume' things.

:)
Mooooo

Comments

• Options
    Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    3 times is a high for one cert. Have you considered using practise questions? they might be of help to you.
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Whats the Scope on the Second Shot?
    Do you have to use it by a certain time? Or can you retake the second shot when ever your ready? Just need to bear this in mine when Im ready to do mine
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That test is no joke. Esoteric cli options. Disk images. Wds. Good luck on round 4!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    zdqzdq Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I have failed this exam twice already (both in December) ....
    First time I got 616 and second time 666 (so there was an improvement icon_rolleyes.gif). Anyway, I'm going to learn harder and take another try later in January (in 2-3 weeks).

Seems that "network connectivity" and "config access to resources" were the weakest parts twice ...

What surprised me most was the low number of Win7 specific questions in the test ...
    So far I used MS book (70-680 Self-paced traning kit) and both tests included questions dealing with topics which were not covered in that book ... good that in one case I knew the answer from my own Win7 experience (been using that OS since Sept. 2009).

Any tips/advices ?
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    zdq wrote: »
    Well, I have failed this exam twice already (both in December) ....
    First time I got 616 and second time 666 (so there was an improvement icon_rolleyes.gif). Anyway, I'm going to learn harder and take another try later in January (in 2-3 weeks).

Seems that "network connectivity" and "config access to resources" were the weakest parts twice ...

What surprised me most was the low number of Win7 specific questions in the test ...
    So far I used MS book (70-680 Self-paced traning kit) and both tests included questions dealing with topics which were not covered in that book ... good that in one case I knew the answer from my own Win7 experience (been using that OS since Sept. 2009).

Any tips/advices ?

I just bought the MCTS:70-680 book by Don Puolton(I feel like i am promoting this book) It doesnt have any reviews as it just came out in Nov. of 2010. I will plan to sit for the exam on the 11th but its looking more like 14th - 20th. I will re-post with my results.

Besides focusing on the material you are weak on, maybe getting other training materials will help. You say the book didn't cover some aspects of the test. Sounds like its time to get a new book.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that, hope you pass next time.

I am also studying for this exam now, after reading so many fail threads, i'm going to be putting a lot of extra work into this..
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    And another thing:
    this may be only my impression but the questions in practice tests from the dvd included with the book were totally different when compared with the real ones during the exam ...
    They were much easier (maybe because they were "strict on the subject" while real exam questions are much more vague ...).

Strange thing given that this is a Microsoft Press book ... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    zdq wrote: »
    And another thing:
    this may be only my impression but the questions in practice tests from the dvd included with the book were totally different when compared with the real ones during the exam ...
    They were much easier (maybe because they were "strict on the subject" while real exam questions are much more vague ...).

Strange thing given that this is a Microsoft Press book ... icon_rolleyes.gif

Well I have seen post about how easy this test was a few months back to when it was first released. They probably made it harder.

If you haven't seen it, you should check out that Microsoft video someone posted in the off-topic forum(I think) It definitely adds to my theory.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    Well, looking at the "Skills Measured" sections for both Vista and Win 7 exams the latter seems more difficult (more topics covered).

I'm going to pass it anyway, I'm really determined now (not to say "pissed off" icon_cool.gif).
  • Options
    bettsy583bettsy583 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have heard the exam consentrates heavily on the images section of the book? I think this is the hardest chapter in the book easily?
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    bettsy583 wrote: »
    I have heard the exam consentrates heavily on the images section of the book? I think this is the hardest chapter in the book easily?

Yep images and Deployment in general. If you have the chance to read some of the Server 2008 books that cover WDS then it also helps too with this exam because of the overlap.icon_wink.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    There were 3-4 image related question in both of my 70-680 exam attempts ...
    This topic (image creation and deployment) is the biggest part of most of the preparation books.
  • Options
    bettsy583bettsy583 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cheers guys someone else had said similar things, do you think its even a worth while cert as it dos not count towards mcitp?
  • Options
    shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bettsy583 wrote: »
    cheers guys someone else had said similar things, do you think its even a worth while cert as it dos not count towards mcitp?

What do you mean? This Cert (70-680) counts towards many of the MCITP certs including: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician, Enterprise Desktop Administrator, and Enterprise Administrator.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    Yea shax 07 is right. The 70-680 counts toward a few of the MCITP tracks.

As far as on its own, I think it could be worthwhile to have if you were trying to work in a Windows 7 environment and especially if you were going to do deployments. Its not like they are all going to be done in one year. I saw the DMV computers JUST upgrade from MS-DOS to XP like 2 months ago.

• Options
    KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice thanks for the FYI.
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680