Starting School this Spring - Some Q's

bryan502bryan502 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings! My name is Bryan and like everyone here I am very fond of Computers. I am attending a Local Community College this Spring to get an Associates in Networking Technology..

What do you guys think about this Curriculum?

http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/Academics/Programs_of_Study/~/media/Bluegrass/Academics/Program_Plans/documents/2010-2011/ComputerandInformationTechnologies10-11.ashx

This is designed to help me get certified from A+, Security+, Linux+, CCNA, MCTS and MCITP. Now I know I can do some(most?) of the certificates without the AA but I really want a degree even if its only a 2 year one.

Once I finish, what kind of Entry-Level jobs should I look into? Im far from finishing but I just want to google the entry level jobs to see what Im heading into.

Tnx and sorry for the noob questions!

Comments

• brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    There's really nothing remarkable or unremarkable about it. It appears to be a standard line of courses towards such a degree.

I'd also seek out an entry-level job in the field while you're still in school for the experience. Good luck.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • bryan502bryan502 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There's really nothing remarkable or unremarkable about it. It appears to be a standard line of courses towards such a degree.

I'd also seek out an entry-level job in the field while you're still in school for the experience. Good luck.

thanks, what entry-level jobs should i look into? right now i am working on A+ cert then Net+ once I learn more about it in school.
  • brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    bryan502 wrote: »
    thanks, what entry-level jobs should i look into? right now i am working on A+ cert then Net+ once I learn more about it in school.
    Unless your dad or best friend owns the company most start out in a operations / help desk / desktop type role and then obtain relevant certs and experience from there.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I go to a KCTCS school (Madisonville Community College) and graduate in May. I chose the Microsoft Networking track, which gives you an overview of the MCITP:SA job responsibilites and a gentle introduction to active directory, but in NO WAY prepares you for the MCITP:SA exams.

If you take your A+ class online it will be 6 credit hours and you will use A+ Certification: Online Training for A+ Certification which is provided as part of your tuition and book fees.

I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about getting a KCTCS IT degree. Here are some suggestions:

• Don't screw around changing what track you want to do. Pick one and stick to it and get it done.
    • While you may learn a thing or two, don't expect to learn all you need to know. I've learned more from studying for certifications.
    • Most of your classmates will not pursue any certifications and expect a job handed to them when they graduate. Don't worry about them and get your certifications. You will be employed and they won't.
    • Several of your textbooks will be very, very bad. I've burned one of mine after the class was over and it made me feel great!
    • If you can CLEP anything do it! I clepped English and this saved me a year's worth of English classes.
    • Have a two year roadmap set out from day one and do not deviate from it. I know people who are working on their 4th year in community college.
    I'm sorry about the negative undertones. I'll have my degree in May and will be going on to a B.S. in I.T......guess I just really expected to learn more than I have! I wish you the best in all of your studies.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • bryan502bryan502 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey thanks for being honest bro..

I already have some of the pre-reqs out of the way like English101 and College Algebra so I'm good there. I also have made a "roadmap" several months ago cuz I meant to start this sem but i was too late on filing my fafsa :)

Did you take most of the courses Online?
    Unless your dad or best friend owns the company most start out in a operations / help desk / desktop type role and then obtain relevant certs and experience from there.

Yeah I have been lurking in this forum for awhile now and seems that is the case most/all the time. I am currently working as a Data Entry processor, getting crap salary 9.50/hr so any of those is heaven to me icon_lol.gif