Microsoft Loopback Adapter

w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
Has anyone used the Microsoft Loopback Adapter for troubleshooting?

If so, in what situations? I'm familiar w/ the concept of loopback, but I don't see why creating a virtual adapter would help with anything.

Comments

• crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Never have, yet. But I'm game. I will try to load it in the next day or two.

Have you tried netcap.exe (in XP, but why only some have this available I don't know yet), or netsh commands? Have you found them useful?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It would help if you don't have a physical network connection, but still want to 'test' configuring tcp/ip settings and other related settings that require a network adapter to be present. It can also be useful if you remove all NIC drivers but want to retain network settings.

In Windows 2003 for example (though in several other versions and editions as well) if you have a NIC installed but it is not connected, as in, there's no signal, it will be down, disconnected. This has a lot of influence on other services, if there's no network connection on a domain controller for example, ADS and other primary services won't even start.

So, it can be useful in a test enviroment with only one computer for example. I never used it though ;)
  • w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    I see. Now, it makes a little bit more sence.
    As far as Netcap, I cannot run it either, but I'm sure a litte trip to technet will tell us how to get it. Netsh is a beast though, If I had a network to play with, I could do some real testing of it.