Options

Had my first real IT job interview today

Today was the first of probably many IT job interviews. All the others I've had something to do something with IT but it wasn't the main focus. This interview was for a IT Analyst position. I've never been so grilled in an interview in my life. They wanted to know everything from the day I started working - why and what I doing in gaps, what I liked/disliked about all my jobs, etc. Went on to ask what I thought my day would be like at the company, how many phone calls I would expect to deal with. I tried my best to answer it but I told them I've never worked in IT before, I have no idea how much IT work I could complete in a day. The job would be part help-desk but it would give me great exposure to everything else. Only thing I have against me he told me was I have no IT work experience but I do have the knowledge. I should hear back by next week so I'll see. The position seems like a great starting point versus just a regular help desk, I'd get to help with server roll outs and such. Heres to hoping!
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulation on the Interview. icon_cheers.gif

Try to manage your expectations -- but it's okay to hope for a little bit that this job is going to be yours and that you won't have to worry about your next job interview for a few years. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Today was the first of probably many IT job interviews. All the others I've had something to do something with IT but it wasn't the main focus. This interview was for a IT Analyst position. I've never been so grilled in an interview in my life. They wanted to know everything from the day I started working - why and what I doing in gaps, what I liked/disliked about all my jobs, etc. Went on to ask what I thought my day would be like at the company, how many phone calls I would expect to deal with. I tried my best to answer it but I told them I've never worked in IT before, I have no idea how much IT work I could complete in a day. The job would be part help-desk but it would give me great exposure to everything else. Only thing I have against me he told me was I have no IT work experience but I do have the knowledge. I should hear back by next week so I'll see. The position seems like a great starting point versus just a regular help desk, I'd get to help with server roll outs and such. Heres to hoping!

You may be ok. If you have the knowhow and they can't hire an experienced person then it comes down to your work ethic. Convince an employer you will work like an elephant and someone will take you on.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz!

Fingers crossed you get it.
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hope it goes well for you. Always look at every interview as a learning experience.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you tell us what type of question asked by the interviewer?
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    If you sat for the interview that means you were qualified for the job. Hope you sold yourself enough. Good luck man
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    And I got my first rejection letter from my first IT job interview.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

Oh well, brush your shoulders off and move onto the next one! Hopefully it is just the first of many like you said.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Just think of it as practice, brother. It will get better as it goes along. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i had my first interview the other day, got a job offer for more than they originally said, and then I wanted to confirm it was daytime hours, said they would call me right back... had not heard from them in almost 2 whole days... left a voicemail, then sent an e-mail... got an e-mail back and then a call.... tentative offer
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark