Options

Need some career direction and advice

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Folks, I could really do with some career advice from my peers on here. I might ramble a bit, please bear with me.

What I currently do:

I am a Systems Engineer for a Managed Services Provider doing all those routine server admin tasks you can think of, you know DNS/DHCP/AD, print Q's, backup administration, Exchange 2003 administration. Nothing really glamorous here. I will complete 2 years in the role in January. I have been getting a lot more projects in my second year in the role than I was in the first year, which is fair since I had to learn and show I could handle the big stuff. So I have been fairly busy all year. In 2011, we are almost certain to see more work roll in, we will have 2008 R2 introduced into the environment and so will Exchange 2010. Interesting times ahead, provided the new gear does come in.

What certs/education I have:

MCSA 2003 : Messaging
One short of the EA
ITILv3
An expired CCNA
Master in Telecommunications Engineering

What I want to be/do:

I quite like my current role and have learned a lot over 2 years. I make okay money with all certs paid for, a full Nuggets subscription is also tossed in. I want to be an independent consultant, get as close to the source of revenue as possible. Generally speaking, a server tech's work is billed at well over $100 an hour while I get paid a fraction of that. I want to be able to get that over-$100/hour-rate for myself doing the same thing.

I have been neglecting my studies a lot lately. Moving into my own new house and being very busy at work over the past 2 months has really eaten into the study time. Not to mention the low motivation since I am quite tired by the time I get home.

So to be a consultant, I understand that I have to be very good at the services I'd offer. No one's going to hire me if I know a little bit of this and that. I would like to consult on AD and Exchange. Is this too broad/narrow a spectrum, do you guys consult only on one or multiple technology(ies)? For sure I know that there's a lot more to EXS and AD that what meets the eye.

Like I said I love Exchange and AD, I think I have intermediate knowledge of both subjects. To be better than most, should I re-read and lab as much as I can what I have studied so far or should I lab up the new stuff (2008 R2 and EXS 2010)? How should I approach this, I really need some advice on this. How should I learn more, how can I retain all I learn. Do clients care what certs you have, or all they care is that you can fix "it".

I have a short-term 4-5 year goal set for me. Learn as much as I can and start consulting on my own. What certs/books/stuff should I read/do to get to where I want to be. I dont want to be working a 9-5 job making $70,000 or thereabouts. I want to be where the money rolls in, it's going to be hard, but I have the desire.

A big TIA to all those souls who read this ramble and care to provide advice.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    can't offer any technical advice as i don't have much experience, but i will say this.

do what you think you'll love and you can't go wrong. if things don't go well, at least you'll know you tried and never live with the regret of "what if".
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Do clients care what certs you have, or all they care is that you can fix "it".

Not one to really give advice on this subject, although I have done the IT job for an IT consulting company. If you don't feel you have absolute confidence in your skillset and in your ability to communicate that to clients, then you may already have your answer.

I assume you mean an infrastructure consultant? You will need fairly indepth knowledge on all the areas; DNS, AD, firewalls, networks, CAs, security, etc. Not just operations but architecture and design. How's your Virtualisation skills; could you explain and suggest a solution for virtualising a company's SQL clustering system? Good documentation is essential.

As for certs, you ought to finish the MCSE (half a cert won't cut it for consulting) and VCP for go nicely as well. There will be a fair amount of non-IT/business gear to cover, so things like Prince2 and IT governance need to be attained.

I know what it's like to slowly go broke working 8-5 in a thankless job. I jumped over to a contracting and now gross nearly double my earnings. If money's a priority, contracting is a strong consideration until you're confident in your consulting skills. It also allows you to experience different company environments.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think you are gonna need to not only get your CCNA up to date, but also your specializations (CCNA sec, voice, wireless etc). MCSE is only a couple more tests away also.

I also didn't see any virtualization on your list. Vmware my friend.

Finally if you want to do Exchange/Sharepoint what not, might not hurt to get those specializations MCTS.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    do what you think you'll love and you can't go wrong. if things don't go well, at least you'll know you tried and never live with the regret of "what if".

There's a smarter way to go about it. If those projects are going to occur, best to stay where you are for another year and do the implementations. In 12 months time you'll look back and realise how much more you know than you did in December '10. Ex2k3 to 2010 will concrete your Exchange skillset and make you a scripting master.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The idea of the 100+ in your pocket is a misnomer. Covering personal expenses, business expenses, taxes and unexpected slow times... you may get 30-40 out of that 100. Seriously.

I am not saying don't do it. But understand what you are getting into.

If you decide to do the consulting route... think on what niche you will be doing and how you will build your cientelle.

Just some random thoughts.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I am where you are at (salary level and job type plus responsibility) and I would recommend really getting into the projects cradle to grave. When people start thinking about paying you a lot of money they are wanting someone who can get these broad arching projects done without much supervision.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thank you for all the advice folks and for reminding me it's not going to be all smooth sailing after I do start on my own. Really needed the words of wisdom. I have changed my 2011 plans (certs and study-wise) accordingly and I am going to make 2011 a decisive year in my quests.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com