Options

Resign after promotion?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Did anyone here resign after a promotion?

Let's say the manager promoted you to a senior position, but it consist of the same responsibilities as the junior, just 2-3 new things to do, only a title change (to keep you happy and hope to retain employees).

Were you in this situation and resigned after a month or so? (because they can't offer you more money). How would you explain to a potential employer about this resignation? Will this hurt you down the road?

Comments

• Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any time I have been asked about why I left a company, I have always been honest and said that I was offered a better opportunity to further myself.
  • Options
    ScottFernScottFern Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Any time I have been asked about why I left a company, I have always been honest and said that I was offered a better opportunity to further myself.

Don't you think depending on the interviewer's personality this could either go over really well or completely backfire?

I have been thinking about the same things, and I usually exaggerate some issues the company was having and said I wanted more responsibility and opportunity.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ScottFern wrote: »
    Don't you think depending on the interviewer's personality this could either go over really well or completely backfire?

I have been thinking about the same things, and I usually exaggerate some issues the company was having and said I wanted more responsibility and opportunity.

I think naming issues the company was having has more of a chance of backfiring than just telling them you wanted to move on for better opportunities. If they can't respect that then would you really want to work for them anyway?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually resigned 2 months after I received a raise and promotion, and I felt greaaaatttt!!! that was because I really wanted to leave and like MrAgent said the opportunity for me at the other place was far better in terms of responsibility and projects that I would be working on. When I went to the interview and told the employer I was looking to move, to better myself and gain more experience blah blah blah, they took it very well and its been 2 years since I've been here.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why would you accept the promotion with more work to do but no more money?

Although I can't really complain too much. I keep accepting new jobs while keeping the same title and same pay. At least you got a fancy new title.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometimes holding a more senior title for a bit can be very helpful down the road. However, yes your scenario happens.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    laptop wrote: »
    they can't offer you more money
    You didn't say what the position is, but if its just a bump to team lead or leading one project, there usually isn't a pay raise. But you do use this "promotion" during your next (annual?) salary review to ask for more money then.

If you're not happy with your job and your current company isn't paying you what you think you're worth -- or giving you the position (and pay) you think you deserve -- find another company that will (or start your own company).

Just don't quit this job until you have your next job lined up.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Just don't quit this job until you have your next job lined up.

Bingo! Don't jump ship or even mention jumping ship until you have a job lined up.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I think naming issues the company was having has more of a chance of backfiring than just telling them you wanted to move on for better opportunities. If they can't respect that then would you really want to work for them anyway?

I wouldn't dare name any specific issues with a former employer. One place I worked, the founder/manager passed away, and he split everything down the middle between his wife and son in his will. It got UGLY there with a capital U real quick. And you were either on his side, or her side; there was no staying out of it, or rising above it. I hated that place with every fiber of my being for the last year or so I was there, until I found my way out.

That, more than anything else was my reason for leaving. But I'd never say as much in an interview or a job application - it's simply unprofessional to air their dirty laundry like that. Instead, I just say I moved on for career growth, which certainly isn't untrue.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi