8 Job-Getting Tips --- WiseBread.com

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Many of the questions that are often asked on TE about getting a job are answered in this excellent article:

8 Job-Getting Tips from a Guy Who's Hired 500 People in the Past 5 Years | Wise Bread

Comments

• SpecialladieSpecialladie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great article, thanks a lot.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    A good handwritten thank you note to the hiring manager can go a long way. Emails are OK but not as effective.

I've mentioned this before.....but apparently some would rather go about it the "OK" way.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I've mentioned this before.....but apparently some would rather go about it the "OK" way.

Yeah I intend to do the thank you note, i'll just have to have my wife write it for me. My penmanship is on par with most MDs writing out a prescription. icon_redface.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Good tips. I am part of the IT hiring team for my company. It is amazing how unprepared some people are. We provide healthcare related services. This is mentioned in our job postings, website, etc. When we ask "what do you know about our company" we have gotten everything from "you sell hardware" to "you are consultants". Amazing.

Don't even get me started on attire.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    please do
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good tips. I am part of the IT hiring team for my company. It is amazing how unprepared some people are. We provide healthcare related services. This is mentioned in our job postings, website, etc. When we ask "what do you know about our company" we have gotten everything from "you sell hardware" to "you are consultants". Amazing.

Great to hear; it reduces the perceived competition. icon_smile.gif
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

I have been part of the "interview team" as well and I think a lot of those people really don't want to work.

I get the impression they are 6 in one hand half dozen in the other, but that is just my impression of those people.

I can understand not knowing every subsidiary, but at least know the division or business unit you will be applying for.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

Yeah really. I once applied for a position at a trucking company and it was the first question asked. Luckily, that morning I had gone to their and read up on the origin of their company.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nothing new on the articles. Remember there are few basic rules that you need to follow on resume. Tell the truth, identify your experience and skill set and your education background. Try to target each job with different resume (modify to fit the position).
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn