The 'COPY' Dilemma !

Hi Guys

I am not sure if the answer to my question is a blinding flash of the obvious but here i go.

I have 2 security user groups with me labeled as follows -

1. CASalesmanagers
2. NYSalesmanagers

For each group above i have created 2 separate file shares as follows -

1. SMData CA
2. SMData NY

The plan is to provide the CA Managers Modify access on 'SMData CA' shared folder and NY Managers Modify access on 'SMData NY' shared folder. The plan is also to provide CA Managers with Read access to 'SMData NY' and NY Managers with Read access to 'SMData CA'.

I have been able to achieve the above requirements via Share and NTFS permissions.

What i now need to accomplish is for the CA Managers to only be able to 'Read' from the 'SMData NY' folder and NOT be able to copy any files or sub-folders. The requirements are vice-versa for the NY Managers on the 'SMData CA' folder.

Right now if i log in as a member of the CASalesmanagers group i am able to copy files from the 'SMData NY' shared folder over to 'SMData CA' shared folder.

Can anyone help ?
MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Read access allows users to copy. I don't think you can do what you want with NTFS and/or share perms. Even if you block copying, you'd have to block a lot of other functionality that users can use to achieve similar results, such as screen capturing, printing (especially printing to PDF), and even "Save As" in the apps. If you really need something like this, maybe RMS would help to some extent.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    Yeah ... i kind of figured it out it would possibly be RMS. Its all part of the bigger picture i guess. Thanks for your reply.
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3