Options

Extensive testing on port numbers?

hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
Hey everyone,

Does the Security+ exam extensively cover ports? Like, would they ask "Which port does SNMP typically use?" or something of that nature?

Comments

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I got 2-3 I believe. You only have to know about 10 port numbers for the exam so spend a few minutes to learn them.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey everyone,

Does the Security+ exam extensively cover ports? Like, would they ask "Which port does SNMP typically use?" or something of that nature?

It's not covered extensively, but yes, it is covered. Focus on the ones related to what's covered in the objectives, Kerberos, TACACS, PPTP, L2TP, etc, etc. It's fairly straightforward to memorize the handful you need for the CompTIA exams. Good luck.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Thanks.

I know most of the port numbers, but some of them are a bit obscure.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You should memorize the common ones just to know them. Especially if you work with firewalls and acl's and you want to permit or deny traffic based on protocol.

But this should help:

the lost packets
  • Options
    thebogman87thebogman87 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I had a couple port questions.. even wanted to know their SSL/TLS port. I kinda like knowing random ports. Makes me feel smart to not have to look them up every time I'm writing scripts.