New CEH section

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
We have added a new CEH section with lots of useful information for those interested in or preparing for this exam.

icon_arrow.gifExam Information:
Here you can find detailed exam information, links to official pages, recommended books, and any future practice exams and TechNotes.

icon_arrow.gifCEH link directory
Here you can find many useful resources, hand-picked by /usr, that relate directly to one or more exam objectives, organized per exam module.

And in case you haven't noticed, the following topic is a ongoing discussion about the CEH certification and is packed with useful information:
icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4853

Comments

• /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I hope everyone ejoys the new section. Hopefully this will attract more people to this exam. If you have any suggestions, comments, or questions, simply post them in the CEH section. Thanks! icon_wink.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Is this sticky thread the new CEH section, or will there be an actual forum discussion dedicated to the CEH?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The section is currently more like a combination of the CEH info page and the link directory, but we will split up the Security Certifications forum into separate forums including a CEH forum soon.
    Cool. I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the cost of Intense School's 5-day CEH training class is. There are two sessions coming up in Las Vegas that are doable for me. You can't get prices from www.intenseschool.com unless you give them your marketing information.
    Intense School's 5-day CEH training class

icon_rolleyes.gif

That isn't directed at you, only at the claim that they are going to allow you to pass this test in 5 days. I would be wary of this...the exam covers a ton of material. Having 21 different domains, some of which go fairly deep into the material. Combine that knowledge with the large amount of tools you'll need to know and it just doesn't seem possible. Unless of course, you know the material and need a review.

If I had to guess at the price, I would say you're looking at something close to $2,000.

I guess we should talk about this in the other CEH thread, since it's already so big. icon_wink.gif
    /usr wrote:
    ...only at the claim that they are going to allow you to pass this test in 5 days.
    I don't see anywhere that Intense School claims you'll pass after attending their course. They write that "Students who complete our Professional Hacking Boot Camp can attain the CEH certification..." This statement is hardly a guarantee that anyone completing the class will pass the CEH exam.
    You just completely contradicted yourself...
    I don't see anywhere that Intense School claims you'll pass after attending their course.

They write that "Students who complete our Professional Hacking Boot Camp can attain the CEH certification..."

Since when did you not have to pass the exam in order to obtain the certification? I also did not say they guarantee it, but those 5 day camps are expensive. You generally would not attend one if the purpose wasn't to learn the material and pass the exam, otherwise you're willingly throwing away money.
    /usr wrote:
    You just completely contradicted yourself...
    I don't see anywhere that Intense School claims you'll pass after attending their course.

They write that "Students who complete our Professional Hacking Boot Camp can attain the CEH certification..."

Since when did you not have to pass the exam in order to obtain the certification? I also did not say they guarantee it, but those 5 day camps are expensive. You generally would not attend one if the purpose wasn't to learn the material and pass the exam, otherwise you're willingly throwing away money.

I think the word "can" is not the same as the word "will." If I were to say: "A citizen of the United States can become president," this is not a claim that every US citizen will become president.

Also, taking the CEH exam is not part of the course.

There is no contradiction in what I said.
    However, the fact that they plainly state "After this training you CAN obtain the CEH certification", leads to the belief that after this training you will have the required knowledge to do so. THAT it what I was saying seemed a bit far fetched. Even if they don't say that you will pass the exam, they are basically saying you can if you want to.

I was only giving you my opinion based on what I encountered while studying. If you feel like this is a better route, by all means go for it. With prior knowledge, it would be possible to learn all of the material. However if most/all of it is new, I just don't see how that's feasible.

Sorry if my posts came across as criticizing you for discussing this option.
    /usr wrote:
    I was only giving you my opinion based on what I encountered while studying. If you feel like this is a better route, by all means go for it. With prior knowledge, it would be possible to learn all of the material. However if most/all of it is new, I just don't see how that's feasible.
    No offense taken. I think you are assuming that I don't have prior experience with the subjects covered by the CEH, and that people who do have such experience wouldn't be interested in taking a hacking class. Both assumptions are false.
    Actually, I recalled some of your posts and assumed you did have some of the knowledge.

Anyway, best of luck. If you're pressed for time, the training class would be a good option. If not, I would personally go the self-study route to save money, especially if you know quite a bit of the material. icon_wink.gif

If you have any questions regarding the exam, material, types of questions, etc., just ask and I'll be glad to help.
    Thanks, I'll to that. :P But I've really got the get the CWSP out of the way first, as I've already paid for it.

And I think I've figured out the wording. Apparently, you need to have at least two years of verifiable InfoSec work experience as a prerequisite for taking the CEH exam. You can waive this prerequisite if you take a "hacker" training course authorized by the EC-Council, of which Intense School is one.

So Intense School's "...can attain the CEH certification..." quote really means "satisfies a prerequisite for the CEH certification exam." I wasn't aware of the prereq.
    You can also write them a short letter explaining why you qualify if you don't have the two years of experience. That's what I did.
    Oh, that's interesting. What did you give as reasons that you qualify to hold a CEH cert?
    My experience at work, at school while getting my degree, and the certifications I had previously aquired.
  • GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
    Thats interesting. When I finish school, I think ill try for my CEH. I didnt like the idea of needing 2 years Sec Related Experience first.

Gawd
  • JerryBFlyingJerryBFlying Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The cost of Intense school CEH class, with room, and test fee, is $3,995. And NOT worth it.
    The cost of Intense school CEH class, with room, and test fee, is $3,995. And NOT worth it.

FOUR GRAND?? icon_eek.gif *HACK!* *COUGH!* *GAG!*

I wonder what kind of businesses send their employees to that training, because they certianly aren't picking up that fee from your average "Joe Hacker on the street."

Thanks for the info.
  • TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    jdmurray wrote:

FOUR GRAND?? icon_eek.gif *HACK!* *COUGH!* *GAG!*

I wonder what kind of businesses send their employees to that training, because they certianly aren't picking up that fee from your average "Joe Hacker on the street."

Thanks for the info.

Unless Joe Hacker picked up the $4K from someone's inadequately protected bank account. icon_lol.gif
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
    If a company sends a group of people, I wouldn't be surprised if the rates are cheaper per individual.
  • JerryBFlyingJerryBFlying Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The cost included the hotel room and lunches everyday as well as the cost of the course. You can also do the course online as opposed to "in person". The online course is $1995.

In answer to the question as to what companies would send their employees... I did the class in Herdon, VA just outside Washington D.C. so my class was filled with FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland security, Air Force, Marine and Navy guys. Plus some people from data security consulting firms. (20 people in all, maximum for the class)

The Intense School course is not worth the money. A lot of the labs didn't work, the instructors left the room while the labs were being done and then didn't review the labs when they returned. So you never knew if what you were doing in the lab was correct or not. All the instructors did was read from the overhead slides. There wasn't enough hands on practice with the tools to really know how they worked. And, I didn't feel the class really prepared me well enough for the exam. Plus, on the last day of the class, they were still teaching new material up until it was time to take the exam. Then, the exam which was web based kept locking up. I had to reboot my PC 5 times before I finally walked out of the exam in frustration. (they gave me a voucher to take the exam at another time.)

I will say the instructors knew their stuff, they were former hackers, but they weren't teachers. For $4,000 I want more than someone just reading the slides to me. So, stay away from Intense schools.

By the way, my company paid for me to go.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just to let you know, I know of two people who are former instructors for intense schools and they basically said what you just said, not worth it. Plus before I took the CEH class, I had a chance to audit one day of it. I was not impressed at all. I ended up going with Infosec Institute and I must say it was well worth the money.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Nice to see this as a sticky.

As far as this cert, I did the self study. Intense Schools used to have an insturctor named Clement, that was squared away. He is now a SANs instructor. So, I am not sure how they are now.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    It seems that PrepLogic now has practice questions for this exam. I wish I could demo a copy and see if they are any better than the Boson ones.

http://www.preplogic.com/products/exams/practice-exam-product-details.asp?eid=397
  • SniganooSniganoo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is the study kit from EC worth it?
  • zestzest Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    guys,

i've decided to take the CEH exam by ECCouncil.
    i won't take a course cause it's 2 expensive for me icon_redface.gif
    well...i'm a newbbie regarding to this exam so i have many gaps to fill...maybe you can help a little bit...
    is there any website with (FREE) questions/quizes related to the exam like the www.cccure.org for the CISSP exam?

where can i get some goodies like questions/material/exams/quizes so i can clear my mind and find out what i'm about to face...

10x in advance and Goodluck all of you people,
    Zest
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hi,

You can start here:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/ecc_ceh.shtml
    for our practice test, some links to more, and book suggestions.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Cccure.org is almost a CISSP only site. Sure there are other things there, but most people there are either CISSP's or either taking the exam within the next few months. The CEH and other sections there are almost non-active. You'll have much better luck finding information here.
  • devilson911devilson911 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,

Please be prepare for the new Version of CEH currently its V4.1 they will release the V5 in the next 3 month and the exam will be change to a lab exam that what I heard.

thanks