TIA/EIA-568 Standard

I3astardsI3astards Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
UTP is limited to 90 meters even though it can reach lengths of 100 meters... Can someone explain when TIA/EIA quote '90m', what distance is this measuring (patch panel to wall outlet)??? Is It 90m, to then allow 10m (100m in total) for the cable from the wall outlet to the node (pc)??

Comments

• I3astardsI3astards Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my question is, what is the 90 m factoring in? And, what is the 10 m allowance for?? cheers.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I3astards wrote: »
    UTP is limited to 90 meters even though it can reach lengths of 100 meters... Can someone explain when TIA/EIA quote '90m', what distance is this measuring (patch panel to wall outlet)??? Is It 90m, to then allow 10m (100m in total) for the cable from the wall outlet to the node (pc)??

Not sure what you mean about 10m. As far as I know it's 100m. And if I'm not mistaken, it's 100m from one device that transmits an electrical signal to another. Patch panels don't do that, they're just a point of termination.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
    No you are wrong.... the UTP cable is capable of transmitting 100m but the TIA/EIA stnadards say only 90m - allowing 10 m for connections... I have kinda answered my own question but I want to know an example of the 90m (is it a run??) and what would count towards the 10m allowance, please answer!

See beloqw quote for Wikipedia:

'This 100 meter limit is all inclusive. According to some authors,I][URL="http://www.techexams.net/wiki/Wikipedia:Avoid_weasel_words"][COLOR=#0645ad]who?[/COLOR][/URL][/I the practical limit for permanently installed cable is about 90 meters, leaving 5 meters at each end for the patch cables that connect the end equipment to the wall panel.'
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I3astards wrote: »
    No you are wrong.... the UTP cable is capable of transmitting 100m but the TIA/EIA stnadards say only 90m - allowing 10 m for connections... I have kinda answered my own question but I want to know an example of the 90m (is it a run??) and what would count towards the 10m allowance, please answer!

See beloqw quote for Wikipedia:

'This 100 meter limit is all inclusive. According to some authors,I][URL="http://www.techexams.net/wiki/Wikipedia:Avoid_weasel_words"][COLOR=#0645ad]who?[/COLOR][/URL][/I the practical limit for permanently installed cable is about 90 meters, leaving 5 meters at each end for the patch cables that connect the end equipment to the wall panel.'

I will try to give an example here.
    A = The length from the device to a patch panel (save about 5 Meters)
    B = The length from the patch panel to the wall outlet (Max ~90 Meters)
    C = The length from the wall outlet to the computer or end device. (save about 5 Meters)

Switch---A---patch panel
    B
    wall outlet----C----Computer

The total length is still 100 Meters. Just the actual run is set at about 90 Meters.
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I will try to give an example here.
    A = The length from the device to a patch panel (save about 5 Meters)
    B = The length from the patch panel to the wall outlet (Max ~90 Meters)
    C = The length from the wall outlet to the computer or end device. (save about 5 Meters)

Switch---A---patch panel
    B
    wall outlet----C----Computer

The total length is still 100 Meters. Just the actual run is set at about 90 Meters.

Sweet, that is spot on - thanks