Options

Network emulation software? Virtual machine?

Ed1975Ed1975 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
The other night I happened upon some software that aims at emulating an actual network so you can learn to administrate it.

Unfortunately I didn't record what it was.

Is there anything - preferably free - that you guys can recommend that will do this job? So far I've only found one app that looks like it will fit the bill, called NetSim.

While I'm on the subject of emulation/virtualization, what do you guys reckon is the best app for a virtual machine? VirtualPC and VirtualBox seem to be the biggest as far as I can see.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I have mainly been using VMware player lately. I have Virtual PC but it does not support 64bit OS's. I have Virtual Box but it doesn't support bootable USB.

Network emulation software is unnecessary for studying for the Net+. The only type of software I've used like that is cisco's packet tracer which obviously wouldn't be appropriate for Net+ studies.
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Ed1975 wrote: »
    The other night I happened upon some software that aims at emulating an actual network so you can learn to administrate it.

Unfortunately I didn't record what it was.

Is there anything - preferably free - that you guys can recommend that will do this job? So far I've only found one app that looks like it will fit the bill, called NetSim.

While I'm on the subject of emulation/virtualization, what do you guys reckon is the best app for a virtual machine? VirtualPC and VirtualBox seem to be the biggest as far as I can see.

Cheers!

The Sybex book (I believe) has a Net+ simulator included with it. Its on the CD. it has a lot of labs you can do to give you some hands on for the Net+ test. Unfortunately you have to buy the book to get the cd.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]