Options

outsource/contracting

fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone im hoping this is the correct place to discuss this;...

I am currently sort of unemployed, looking into getting into the networking industry (about to complete CCNA too)... and well I was thinking, current job market here for entry level positions isnt great.

So what I was wondering and seriously contemplating is to place ads in local council newspapers here and basically advertise networking services, for home, and small-medium offices. I do not have any experience in terms of what response I will get, but I was thinking of placing the following words (or along lines of) into an ad;
    OUTSOURCE IT/Networking Test Cisco networks; Install configure and test cisco networks; Setup LANs and WANs. LAN protocols; RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF. WAN; PPP, HDLC, Frame-relay ISDN. Network security; network access-lists, VLANs Install and configure MS desktops and network; Configure broadband connection and sharing; Full home and office computing solutions.

I have reasonable experience in setting up MS networks etc and obviously I want to get into Cisco. I have good contacts within the PC distribution industry and have managed to find a place that sells refurbished Cisco routers at reasonable prices.

First of all I want to get an opinion from you all as to what you think about this, reason I ask is most if not all of you are already in the networking industry. So Do you think.... worth giving it a shot.??
Im a newbie.... please be easy on me.

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    give it a shot icon_cool.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I agree, you have nothing to lose.
  • Options
    HackNackHackNack Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I doubt you'll find a lot of work that's Cisco related. Most companies have their admins do all the cisco work. If they can't handle it due to time restraints then they'll train one of the PC Techs.

I hate to be so negative but do you think that a CCNA gives you enough knowledge to be the only person responsible for setting Cisco equipment up and configuring it? I went over the Sybex book for CCNA a few times and it doesn't really teach you many things you don't find out until you're well into your CCNP.

There are many contract jobs offered by temp agencies. You can start with those and work your way up to a full time job with benefits of a true contractor position.
  • Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    I disagree that you won't find companies that won't need you. Remember that 90% of businesses in the United States are small busninesses.

Go to Kinko's and make youself a nice folder that you can pass around. Good place to go is office biuldings. Some biuldings may have over 100 small businesses in them. My dad works out of a 8 floor office biulding and their are over 300 different businesses in that biulding alone.

Every week I go to his office to setup something and troubleshoot for him. If you go into a office like that and drop 300 folders in all of the mail boxes im sure someone will give you a call.

I am now making some side cash troublingshooting and installing network equiptment for the office next to my dads. My dad met the guy in the caffiteria and just mentioned me.

My dad does have a a computer departmented he can call provided by his company, but hell he hates calling them and trying to talk to them. So he will give me $50 to come in and talk on the phone with them. :D

Give it a try, worst case is someone calls you and you don't do well, then all do is tell them you apologize, tell them that sort of problem isn't your specialtation and theirs no charge.

The worst thing to do is nothing at all.

IT staffing company is also a GREAT way to get started and get some experience.
  • Options
    fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all for the positive encouraging replies. I agree with Hack Nack that CCNA doesnt give me much to brag about regarding cisco products etc. However, if I can manage to get small simple jobs etc, I believe my self confidence will rise immeasurably.

And like Fu said, doing nothing is the worst. The only thing I have to lose is a little money in terms of advertising and worst case scenario if I cant actually do something I just tell them straight up.

With regards to making porfolio etc, I think that is alittle beyond me at the moment, also cost involved in developing, printing, then distributing will be beyond my budget. My initial plan was to place ads in local newspapers where there is chance of getting called for a small job etc. ie: mainly close to or in and around business districts here in Sydney.

I'll do some research with regards to costs involved and where exactly what newspapers are distributed etc and I"ll keep you guys informed.

Thanks.
    Im a newbie.... please be easy on me.